1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

New Careers peer advisor to help answer your queries

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 6, 2016.

  1. jofox27

    jofox27 New commenter


    I am wondering, I have a MA TESOL and want to know if I work in an international school in asia, will the 2 years experience be relevant for international schools in EU? Does the experience transfer over - as I don’t have a PGCE?
  2. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi shirlbramblenash,

    This is not necessarily a good or a bad thing, in my experience. Some go for immediate references because it may take them a while to receive this. Others do this so that they are in a position to quickly secure people once a job offer has been made after interview.
  3. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi charlieray,

    Thank you for your reply.

    I can see that you have experiences which could help you outside of education. How you outlined these on your C.V. would determine how easily potential employers can align them to roles you apply for.

    Once you have made a decision as to which particular role you would like to do next, I would suggest pursuing the possibility of voluntary work within that sector, even if it is for a day a week. Being unfamiliar with how things operate in Dubai, I would presume that you will need to have previous experience for any new roles that you apply for, which is outside of teaching. Voluntary work could be one way to help you get some of that experience.

    All the best with your next steps.
  4. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi jofox27,

    Your 2 years experience will transfer over, particularly if you can show that you have been successful in your role within Asia. International Schools generally look for teachers who have got a Bachelor's degree as a minimum, so your MA TESOL should be acceptable. I would advice that you check whether or not a particular certificate or license is required for the age / grade that you intend to teach. Some international schools within the EU will accept the experience you have in place of certificates / license for what you intend to teach, however you will need to check this out through the relevant Department of Education / education authorities.

    I would also suggest posting your query in the 'Teaching Overseas' forum.

    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  5. valentinovannini

    valentinovannini New commenter

    Hello Bukki,

    I hope you are well. I was hoping if you could help. I am a qualified Art & Design teacher. I was born and raised in Italy and came to teaching after a career in the hair and beauty industry. I read Drama, Art and Music Studies at the University of Bologna (History of Visual and Performing Arts) straight after secondary school but I did not complete my degree in order to take the reins of the family business. In 2011 I came to the UK as my partner was relocated for work and I took this as an opportunity to complete my degree in which I gained the equivalent of a first class honours degree. I then got a teaching qualification (PGCE (secondary) in Art and Design at the IoE in London) and started teaching in a comprehensive secondary school in East London which was under special measures. The Art department I worked in played an important role in upgrading the school's OFSTED rating as it was one of two departments mentioned in the OFSTED report as making significant contributions to the improvement in results. I am now in my third year in the same school and I am looking to move on. I have applied to a large number of schools but seem to be unable to get selected for interview and I cannot figure out why this might be the case. Are my non-UK qualifications are barrier? Is the fact that I am an Art Historian a problem even if I am a practising artist? Am I too expensive (inner London M4+TLR) for Art departments? Is there something wrong with my CV? Is my personal statement not good enough? I asked my peers to review it and they all say that there is enough good material in it to at least warrant an interview but for some reason this does not seem to be happening. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

  6. kirstangel_2007

    kirstangel_2007 New commenter

    Hi Bukky,

    I achieved my QTS in 2018 and my main subject is Drama. I am now a cover supervisor in my first placement school as jobs were scarce and very competitive last year. However, I have decided that I would like a career as a hospital teacher, do you have any advice on how I would achieve this? Would I need to do my induction year in order to achieve this?
  7. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi Valetino,

    When you said that in the UK, you completed your degree and got equivalent to a first class degree, I take this to mean you obtained a degree from Italy? If this is the case, then it should be considered as 'a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree'. Do you also have qualifications equivalent to GCSE grade C/4 in mathematics and English?
    Without seeing your CV or personal statement, it is impossible to suggest why they have not yet helped to secure you an interview. How have you captured the impact that you have had upon your present school?
    Spelling mistakes or errors within your CV, personal statement or application, tends to eliminate potential applicants from being short listed for interview.

    Which particular roles are you applying for?

    You hit upon being expensive and this may be a real possibility.

  8. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi kirstangel_2007,

    First of all, you will need to complete your induction year as Qualified Teacher Status is required in order to become a hospital teacher.

    Is there any scope for you to teach English in addition to Drama? This could help to position you for your next steps,

    If you do a Google search for 'school hospital vacancies', this will help you find out where within the UK these roles are currently available. It will also highlight the necessary requirements and experience.

    All the best,
  9. stwilfred

    stwilfred New commenter

    Hello! After 10 years as a HOD, I'd like to consider a course in educational leadership that might help me to prepare for applying for a senior role, perhaps assistant headship on the academic, rather than the pastoral, side of things. I undertook a post graduate degree before teaching, so I'm keen to pursue a practical, rather than theoretical, emphasis.Thank you.
  10. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi stwilfred,

    You could explore the National Professional Qualification for Senior Leadership (NPQSL). This course allows you to complete a whole school project and apply leadership theories learnt during the course.

    Details of this course can be found in the link below:

    In the past, I have followed practical leadership courses. The downside however, is that they were not fully accredited courses. The NPQSL course is widely recognised and will also allow you to evaluate your leadership skills in readiness for your next steps.

  11. bdinda31

    bdinda31 New commenter

    Hello BYusuf

    I am a Kenyan qualified teacher with three years experience in teaching English and Literature in English. Besides, I have other qualifications like immense experience in the 21st century teaching and learning skills. Nonetheless, I have little experience in any of the international curricula. I wish to begin a teaching career in the UK. Please may you advice accordingly. Thank you
  12. ally88cy

    ally88cy New commenter

    I am now completing a Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching & Learning in Schools. I work as a teaching assistant in a prestigious SEN school, mainly working with students who have Autism.I have learnt so much in the 10 months that i have been working there and would love to progress in the education sector. I would love to support children with Dyslexia, i have trailed the internet but cannot find a simple diploma qualification to start me off as all i can find is a teaching qualification to be able to teach children with Dyslexia. Do i need to become a teacher? I would like to be able to specialist in this, if anyone know what i need to do to then please let me know as i am clueless.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  13. Pam3

    Pam3 New commenter

    Dear Bukki,

    I wonder if you could give me some advice?

    I currently teach in an independent school where working Saturdays are compulsory and although I am approaching retirement age I feel that I am not ready to give up entirely. I have taught Primary age across both sectors. I have also been a deputy head teacher, an acting head teacher and I am currently a Head of Learning Support. My highest qualification is MEd.

    I would like to have my weekends back. My question is: would anybody entertain the idea of employing a 60yr old either part-time or full time?

    Any ideas will be gratefully received.
  14. ellenlilymay

    ellenlilymay New commenter

    Dear Bukky

    I am in urgent need of advice.

    I was made redundant from a post-16 languages job 3 years ago in my late 50s and since then have been trying to get supply work. However I find the behaviour in secondary schools too challenging (I have had things thrown at me, including abuse), and dislike the impersonal nature of supply (you are often just handed a folder by a receptionist and told to get on with it) not to mention the assumption that you are some kind of leech on society!. I have taught adults but gave this up as the work was scattered across the county and I was spending a fortune on petrol for about £20 an hour with hours of preparation for each lesson. I've looked into TA/LSA work but this seems to require extensive SEN experience, I am now at the end of my tether, and am looking for another avenue to explore urgently. Do you have any ideas? I am desperate. Many thanks, Ellen.
  15. foxtail3

    foxtail3 Star commenter

    It doesn’t look as though the ‘peer advisor’ has seen your post, so would it help to suggest tutoring as an alternative to supply?
  16. liz76

    liz76 New commenter

    Dear Peer Advisor
    Would you or anyone be able to throw some suggestions at me please? I don't think I have a dilemma as such, I just think I'ma bit stuck in a rut and would like some alternative view points.
    I qualified in the UK in 2001, taught for 4 years at a Comp, then moved to Belgium and taught there for 6 years, China for 6, Egypt for 1, then Vietnam for 1 term on a maternity cover contract. I'm a high school History teacher, and normally a head of department.
    All my experience up to and including China was in A Level, then I moved to Egypt for IB experience. I feel quite 'well rounded' as a practitioner, but have no, and I mean NO luck at getting anyone interested in employing me in the UK! I'd love to come home and teach and be closer to family, but unless I get in through the 'cover teacher route' then it's not going to happen is what it seems. I want to apply for, be interviewed for and hopefully get an HoD position in the UK but as I say Im just getting no bites. Yet my CV is quite appealing to foreign schools.
    Do I know all the recent UK trends, buzz words abnd developments? Probably not, although I do try to keep abreast as much as I can. My references are good, the schools I have been at are reputable, my exam classes have been successful and I have led initiatives and departmental improvement. Any thoughts?
  17. Skeoch

    Skeoch Star commenter

    I think problem 1 is that you'd be expected to attend a face-to-face interview and trial lesson, and realistically you can't do that from abroad. Problem 2 is general suspicion that maybe you moved abroad because you couldn't cope in the UK - I'm sure the suspicion is unfounded, but that doesn't remove it. I've seen too many applications from teachers who had worked abroad and didn't get back into permanent posts straight away (and hired one who was excellent, by the way). Have you considered the independent sector?
  18. pendtoni

    pendtoni New commenter


    I'm an RQT, Reception teacher, and former Year 3 and daily/weekly supply teacher (supplying and cover supervising EYFS, primary and secondary).

    I'm wishing to leave teaching. I qualified in July '17 and I'm fully understanding what I'm genuinely qualified to do aside from teaching for a future career. I can't afford to go back to Uni' at 26 years old to do a 3rd degree. Teaching abroad is also not an option as my partner is currently in her NQT year.

    I'm wondering what other teachers who left the career this early have gone on to do and what they found that they were qualified for. I'm on £26k (due to the new main scale adjustments) and would need to be able to know how what level of job I'd be qualified for also to avoid taking a huge pay cut. I know this would be difficult to avoid, but I'm seeking advise as my current workplace situation and low confidence is pushing me away from the profession.

    All answers welcome.
  19. daskala1

    daskala1 New commenter

    Hi Bulky,

    I was working as a substitute primary teacher for 8 years in my country before moving to UK.last year I managed to get a job as a SEN assistant ,a contract ,but due to my husband's job we moved to Scotland.I be been here since last August and even if I had some interviews,I did not land a new job.Although I was looking to have a feedback,I did not have a constructive one ,only once they told that I lack of experience.So,I tried to volunteer but all my applications were unsuccessful.I really love my job and I miss the time when I was a teacher.Just to tell you that I didn't find it hard to get a job in Northern Ireland but here in Scotland,while I follow all the same preparation before an upcoming interview,I did not get the offer.Now I have applied to be registered as a teacher with GTSC but I need to work at least Two more years to feel confident to teach again.what are your thoughts?I am so desperate and tired.
  20. harsh-but-fair

    harsh-but-fair Star commenter


Share This Page