1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Careers peer advisor to help answer your queries

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 6, 2016.

1. benbobaggins

benbobaggins New commenter

Hi Bukky,

I hope you can help with this predicament.

My wife will be moving to the U.K. in June, 2018 on a Spousal Visa, and we hope to transfer to citizenship through the 5-year route.

She has a Degree in Psychology (GPA 3.5) from a University in Jakarta, Indonesia, but the degree was not taught primarily in English. However, her English is excellent, and after 10 years of marriage, we expect her to score an 8 on the IELTS exam in December.

She has taught for 4 years in KG at an International school, and done a very good job, with excellent feedback from her Principal and parents alike. She has also done a multitude of PD including Phonics, SEN etc.

She would like to do a

2. benbobaggins

benbobaggins New commenter

Hi Bukky,

I hope you can help with this predicament.

My wife will be moving to the U.K. in June, 2018 on a Spousal Visa, and we hope to transfer to citizenship through the 5-year route.

She has a Degree in Psychology (GPA 3.5) from a University in Jakarta, Indonesia, but the degree was not taught primarily in English. However, her English is excellent, and we expect her to score an 8 on the IELTS exam in December.

She has taught for 4 years in KG at an International school, and done a very good job, with excellent feedback from her Principal and parents alike. She has also done a multitude of PD including Phonics, SEN etc.

She would like to do a PGCE in Primary with QTS, but NARIC does not recognise her degree. We are not sure what she can do to help her. She is willing to go to night school and acquire GCSE in Math, English and Science(s) but we don't have the finances for her to study a 3 or 4 year degree again.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance for your time!

3. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi benbobaggins,

I had to triple check conflicting information that I came across.

As you have explained that UK NARIC does not recognise your wife's degree, this does limit her options.

However your wife could work within an academy, free school or independent school as they have the freedom to employee educators without QTS.

Alternatively, your wife work can work as an unqualified teacher without QTS in a maintained school (but not a Pupil Referral Unit - PRU). Your wife would then have to gain QTS within four years of when she started work, so she can then continue to work as a teacher. The link below provides more information about being an overseas trained teacher:

http://education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/advice/f0011031/overseas-trained-teachers

Even though this is an option (working as an unqualified teacher in a maintained school), the instances of this happening are very rare as it is down to the discretion of each school.

One short term option could be for your wife to undertake some voluntary experience in within a primary school. Generally schools would have a preference for applicants who have UK experience in addition to their overseas experiences. Volunteering would also allow your wife to gain direct experience and understanding of the education system within the UK and be exposure to different teaching strategies that are utilised.

All the best with your next steps.

B

4. neilhn

neilhn New commenter

Hi
    I am doing day to day supply (would prefer long term)
    Applying for permanent teaching roles
    Not sure about skills/strengths, i suppose I am a solid and reliable teacher who has students who genuinely want to be in my lessons.

Thanks
    Neil

5. neilhn

neilhn New commenter

Hi,

Just wondering if you could reply.

6. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi neilhn,

First of all, apologies for responding now as I had not seen your message.

Secondly, to get a sense of strengths and skills you have, reviewing a job description as part of your application process would help you get more specific details about your strengths. You can select a general one for teaching from the Internet and then assess your own skills against it.

You could then identify a strength by saying you have high behaviour amd learning expectations which results in an encouraging / positive classroom environment where students enjoy your cover lessons.

Other strengths you could mention is that supply teaching has enabled you to adapt well to unexpected situations and challenging behaviours, develop resilience and a problem solving outlook when lessons don't go according to plan.

When you have had to plan lessons, how have the lessons helped to aid student progress? This could then be used as evidence to say that you teach clearly structured lessons which interest / motivate students and utilise a range of teaching and learning strategies.

You can also say that you ensure the delivery of challenging learning outcomes on an individual, group and class basis.

Working within a wide variety of institutions has allowed you to establish positive working relationships with different members within a school community e.g. staff, students and parents/carers.

You fulfil the responsibility for the safeguarding / well-being of students by implementing school policies which relate to health and safety, safeguarding amd behaviour for learning.

Least of all, you should note that you are a professional that keeps abreast with current educational developments / strategies.

All the best with your application.

Bukky

MehreenQ likes this.
  7. lemonielewis

lemonielewis New commenter