1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

New Careers peer advisor to help answer your queries

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 6, 2016.

  1. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi gemi75,

    To help boost your experience and confidence, I would suggest you review the National Association for Special Educational Needs website. See link below here:

    If you sign up for free membership, you will receive access to useful updates, resources and reading materials that will help you gain a better overview of the SENCO role.

    They also provide training opportunities, (including online training).

    Please note, that in order to become a SENCO, you will need to have a Masters level qualification.

    I would also suggest that you share a post in the SEN forum, so that the adviser Jules, can provide you with more suggestions.
  2. Claire Jordan

    Claire Jordan New commenter


    I'm an Inclusion manager at a prep school and am looking for a change of job after 14 years of teaching. I like the organisational and caring side of my current job. One of my ideas was to try and get a role in a university as a Disability officer. Basically co-ordinating the support for students with any disability and making sure they have all they need to succeed in their course. Do you think this is a viable option (I have no experience of working in higher education). Other ideas appreciated! Thanks very much, Claire
  3. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Dear Claire,
    Thank you for your post. It should be a viable option once you can demonstrate your ability to support and fulfill inclusion / equal opportunity / diversity policy within the higher education institution.

    This example for a Disability Liaisons Officer provides an example of what this type of role would entail:
    Does your present role provide you with the skills to match the brief provided? If so, then this should aid your application alongside your knowledge / understanding of the university in question and the impact of the role you aim to make in this context.

    You may find more roles being advertised for Diversity and Inclusion managers or Diversity HR managers for organisations outside of education. So besides the fact that you will not be supporting students, the role would cover other a wider remit in relation to inclusion. Is that something which may be of interest to you?

    If so, discounting the geographical locations in the examples given, other roles which may be of interest to you could include:
    Building Control Disability Access Officer (http://www.basildon.gov.uk/article/2134/Building-Control---Disabled-Access-Officer)
    Disability Employment Advisor
    Diversity HR Manager (http://www.totallylegal.com/job/329.../?TrackID=13&cmpid=Aggregator_Indeed&segid=HP)
    Inclusion Officer (https://jobs.derbyshire.gov.uk/Survey.asp?survey=1&job=16502&aset=107079&spec=1&preview=2)
  4. JanisST

    JanisST New commenter

    Hello Bukky,

    I am a cover supervisor in a secondary school looking at becoming a teacher. I have worked in support roles in both primary and secondary. I have TA qualifications and also a degree in Education and Professional Development. My problem is, I would like to teach secondary science; however, my degree is not subject specific. I have looked at many ways of overcoming this yet, completing a science degree would seem to be the only option.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.


  5. Lobbylocks

    Lobbylocks New commenter

    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm looking into the LP role and perhaps offering the possibility of rolling this out across the school as a proposal to put to my head where I am. Could you point me in the right direction for any further info on lp and developing cpd opportunities in schools?
    Thanks for your advice.
  6. melchora

    melchora New commenter

    HI Bukky
    Hope you are fine. I do not have QTS , I have a Master in education and 15 years experience MFL Spanish . I would like to apply for jobs in Secondary school now what route shall I follow to get the QTS based on experiennce?
  7. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi Janis,

    You don’t necessarily have to do a science degree.

    If you have any A levels in Biology, Chemistry or Physics, then some course providers will accept you onto a teacher training course with these particular qualifications.

    However this is different with every course provider so you would need to check with those of interest to you.

    If it is not possible for you to get onto a course then you could study for an A level in Biology / Chemistry / Physics.

    There may also be a possibility of doing a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course. Again eligibility would vary from one provider to another. There are many SKE providers, however full details of SKE training via the TES can be found here:


    If you have not already done so, contact the DfE (0370 000 2288) to find out which other options are available to you.

    All the best.
  8. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi melchora,

    I am fine and hope you are too.

    So long as you can demonstrate that you have met all the Teacher Standards and that you have worked in at least two different institutions, you can follow the 'Assessment Only' route for QTS.

    Some providers offer a fast track option at the start of each term, for a maximum of 12 weeks.

    Before you can be accepted onto this route, you will need to complete the Literacy and Numeracy professional skills test.

    More details of this route can be found in the link below:

    All the best.
  9. Lobbylocks

    Lobbylocks New commenter

    Hi Bukky,
    Any further advice as per my question above?
    Thank you
  10. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi Lobbylocks,

    Apologies as I had not seen your reply when I checked the forum earlier.

    Further information about the Lead Practitioner roles is given below:

    With regards to developing CPD opportunities, the book 'The Perfect Teacher Led CPD' by Shaun Allison would be a good starting point for ideas about the development of personalised CPD.
    Lobbylocks likes this.
  11. hmcintoshpe

    hmcintoshpe New commenter


    I have been a dedicated of my MLT for 5 years. I recently applied for an AP job internally and got interviewed. Unfortunately I lost out to someone who has been there a lot less time than me. Instead of dwelling on this, I have decided that there are other jobs out there for me and there are a couple of SMT that I am going to apply for. The one thing I really do need help with is my letter of application/supporting statement. Please, please, please any advice on this would be fantastic.

    Thanks in advance.
  12. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi hmcintoshape,

    Thank you for your post.

    My general advice for writing your personal statement is that it should:
    • summarise previous experiences that are relevant to the role that you are applying for.
    • have an overview of your current role and skills you use (providing examples of evidence to illustrate the range of attributes, skills and experienced you have which are outlined in the person specification.
    • note strengths and skills you have that can add to the value of the school you are applying to.
    • outline why you want to work in that particular school (to avoid it sounding as though you are applying because you are just looking for any job)
    • cover each item of the person specification with evidence of key aspects being developed, your role, key actions which were undertaken and the impact of your actions. For example, I raised the standard of Learning and Teaching in subject x through co-planning and demonstration lessons. The focus upon open ended problems is now embedded across the department resulting in more students who engaged with their learning. In 2015, my school achieved its highest number A*-C grades in subject x for the past three years.

    Normally the personal statement should be a maximum of two sides A4 so, give yourself enough time to write your personal statement. Make sure that you follow the application instructions to the letter.

    Once you have completed it, read through to ensure that there are no spelling errors.

    Lastly, have someone with the relevant experience to review your personal statement before you submit it with your application.

    All the best with your leadership role applications.
  13. chelle1974

    chelle1974 New commenter

    My Partner is an Indian national and wants to relocated to the UK. Does he have the right qualifications to be able to teach in a college or university here ?
    • 2008 - 2011 Bachelors in Economics Honors
      Institute for Excellence in Higher Education,India.

    • 2012 - 2013 MSc Business Information Systems and Management
      Middlesex University, London (U.K).
    • Aug 2014 - Present Lecturer
      Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University
      Saudi Arabia.
  14. BYusuf

    BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

    Hi chelle1974,

    Thank you for your post.

    It depends on what he would like to teach in The UK.

    What is he planning to teach?
  15. chelle1974

    chelle1974 New commenter

    Hi,He is hoping to teach with in his field but that may not be possible until he completes his Phd. Maybe college or secondary we are unsure what he would be able to teach.
  16. NCC321

    NCC321 New commenter

    Looking for some advice really...
    I'm HOD of a core subject in a high school. I've been at my current school a few years and feel its time to move on. At first I thought I'd look for SLT roles as this is ultimately what I want to do and have been looking since Christmas. Nothing much has come up in my area. So I started looking at other HOD jobs with extra responsibilities (I currently have whole school responsibilities and am on the leadership scale paywise).
    I work in a small school and many in my area are at least double the size. Would you advise moving to a bigger school as HOD to develop my skills or wait and look for SLT jobs?
  17. KKaupa

    KKaupa New commenter

    Hi, he would need to have a NARIC check to have his qualifications translated into a comparable qualification in the UK, and would have to complete an Initial Teacher Training course to qualify to teach 11 - 18 year olds.

    If you have questions about what he would, the Get into Teaching website has a webchat section, or send me a message on here, and I'll help if I can.


  18. KKaupa

    KKaupa New commenter

    Although, given the bursaries available for Modern Foreign Languages at the moment, perhaps the full course would still appeal? And most schools look for more than one MFL - so you could use the full length course to acquire another language up to a minimum level?

    Just a thought,

  19. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    Not quite. Independent schools, academies and free schools can hire non-PGCE teachers with higher degrees, industry or university experience. If the individual is in the sciences, they will be quickly snapped up.

    I would look at the UK's government information and speak to qualified individuals about all the options available before wasting time and money.
  20. KKaupa

    KKaupa New commenter

    Hi @sabrinakat, that's a great good point about other schools that don't have to recruit those with QTS - but 95% of teachers in Academies have QTS, so it still does have some weight (for now at least).

    And I'm glad you agreed with me re: seeking advice - the "get into teaching" website should clear a few things up on that score.


Share This Page