1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Careers peer advisor to help answer your queries

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 6, 2016.

1. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi IT_addict,

Suggestions will depend on what you mean by 'significant IT experience'.

In the first instance, you could explore IT consultancy support for schools. There are some IT companies who employ former teachers to provide in class / whole school training as part of the support package offered to schools. Or perhaps your interests would lie in working with IT start up companies?

•Which specific IT skills do you have? •Which aspects of IT do you enjoy the most?
    •What would be your ideal role utilising the IT experience that you have, be?

Answers to these questions should help you get a better idea of what you would like to do next.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Some MIS providers (I know one for sure) employs ex-teachers as trainers and presenters. If you have significant programming and developer experience you might just have a very powerful mix of skills and experience which would give you an entry to a developer role.

3. Ariadneposhface

Ariadneposhface New commenter

Hi Bukky,

A bit of a different one for you but I hope you can help. Thanks so much in advance.

I completed my primary PGCE 9 years ago but never did my NQT year.

I now am studying Mandarin Chinese with a view to teaching Mandarin as a peripatetic teacher in a few local schools (I don't want a job as I need to do the school run for my kids).

My question is twofold:
    A) Do you think it is realistic to think that I could find enough schools willing to let me run my classes during school time?
    B) After a few years when I am free to take on a post, do you think many schools would be interested in starting Mandarin?

Thanks very much for taking the time to help.

4. IT_addict

IT_addict New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have developed computing curriculums, built simple websites and worked with other schools to develop computing across the curriculum.

I enjoy more of the creative aspects of computing. I like working with people who are open to new ways of working. I'd love to do some sort of curriculum development work for an Ed tech company,although, the jobs are fairly few and far between.

5. BYusuf

I see. Perhaps you could try and become an EdTech trainer for Microsoft or Google?

If you attend Hackathons (Ed Tech events where an educator / person has an educational app/software/resource idea that they pitch to generate interest from potential computer programmers, computer designers and a whole range of people that work in various stages with EdTech who then spend the day creating the app/software/resource), you can establish contacts / potential job opportunities. They take place throughout the year and I attended my first one during a half term break. So you can attend without having to take time off school.

If you are able to visit BETT at Excel between 25th - 28th January 2017, you would get the opportunity to have direct discussions with a wide variety of Ed Tech companies, if you research before hand which ones provide the roles which suit you most.

Lastly, although this is very rare ( I only know one person that does this), you could be employed to provide support for a cluster of local primary schools. He supports the set up and implementation of mobile devices to enhance teaching and learning. Perhaps you could work in a similar way to support the use and implementation of computing? This could possibly work if you attached to a teaching alliance so that each school could buy into your services.

On a completely different tack, if you become a SLE in Computing, you could do outreach work across several schools and still retain some aspects of teaching within your own school.

All the best with your next steps.

6. BYusuf

Hi Ariadneposhface,

Thank you for your questions.

A) In the first instance, this depends on the number of schools that have students wishing to study Mandarin to GCSE (do you teach Mandarin to GCSE?). The best thing to do is contact Heads of Languages to see whether or not this is something their school needs. Generally in secondary schools, the sessions would run after school. This may pose an issue if it clashes with your school run. It may be possible to run sessions at lunch times instead. Alternatively, you could offer your services as part of any 'International Day / themed' events within primary or secondary schools. With primary schools, you could research which ones offer a Chinese Curriculum or have international links with Chinese schools. The example below outlines what one primary school is doing this academic year, with the Confucius Institute:
    http://www.nightingale.redbridge.sch.uk/Curriculum/Chinese-Curriculum/

B) There is a possibility. Just the other day, I saw an advert where a secondary school was looking for a second teacher of Mandarin. At this moment in time though, it is difficult to speculate if there will be many primary or secondary schools that would be interested in starting Mandarin a few years from now.

All the best with your next steps.

Ariadneposhface likes this.
  7. Ariadneposhface

Ariadneposhface New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply, especially for the info re: Nightingale as that is quite near me.
    No, the schools near me do not currently offer Mandarin. I was hoping that it was the kind of thing that schools might decide to forego if they thought recruiting a teacher would be difficult but might be open to if a teacher approached them. Anyway, like you say, the best thing to do is just ask them!
    Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

BYusuf likes this.
  8. BYusuf

You are most welcome.

I have just seen this which may be of interest to you:
    https://www.britishcouncil.org/educ...urses-resources/mandarin-excellence-programme

Ariadneposhface likes this.
  9. badviolinist

badviolinist New commenter

I have an interview on Wednesday for a post as a Primary Senco, I was a Secondary SENCO for 6 years and I left my previous post in December 2015. I have been at home with my children since then. Can you signpost me to the best things for me to read before the interview. Having been out of school for a year now I am lacking confidence and I feel I can't remember anything!
    Many thanks

10. BYusuf

Hi badviolinist,

I am sure that you will remember more than you realise once you start preparing for your interview.

In the first instance, revisit the 2015 SEND code of practice and EHC plans.

Then you will need to review the type of questions you could be asked in interview. Your experience as a secondary SENCO will help you answer the questions and regain your confidence.

I will share some items with you via private conversation.

badviolinist likes this.
  11. stacyfelton

stacyfelton New commenter

Hello I would like some advice from the TES Careers peer advisor please
    I have been working in a primary school for the past ten months as a teaching assistant level 2. I have a BA in early years education which i completed two years ago. The TA job was just fixed term so it has ended before the xmas hols, however I gained some great experience and really loved working as a TA in a school.
    I have applied for another teaching assistant post and have an interview next week and I would appreciate some advice on how to act, respond to the interview questions. Thanks

12. stacyfelton

stacyfelton New commenter

The post that I have an interview for is a Level 3 (next level up) :)

13. BYusuf

Hi stacyfelton,

Without reference to the job description that would have been shared with you as part of your application, it will be difficult to know how different the Level 3 TA role will be to the Level 2 TA role you have already done.

In some schools, they do similar roles. In other schools, the Level 3 TA may work with a smaller number of children that have more significant learning needs and are then involved in planning their learning activities, marking their work etc.

The interview questions may therefore reflect this difference in roles.

That aside, below are a range of interview questions that should help you prepare for your interview:

https://www.tes.com/articles/teaching-assistant-interview-question-bank

The above link provides you with a wide and comprehensive list of questions, followed up with guidance about how you should respond to some of them.

As you have already been a Level 2 TA, you have a lot of experience to draw upon. During the interview, act in a professional yet friendly manner and demonstrate to the school why you are best for the role.

All the best with your interview.

stacyfelton likes this.
  14. Lobbylocks

Lobbylocks New commenter

Help please. I'm a secondary English teacher of 15 years experience in the same school. During that time I've also been 2ic and acting HOD, but my role for the last 8 years had been as HOY, something I had always loved until recently. Too many difficult unsupportive parents and their difficult children are making me dead going into my office after teaching. But, what to do now? I'm not sure about a HOD role, nor am I particularly ambitious for an SLT role, but I need to be able to maintain my current salary. Upon reflection, what I love most about my job is the kids, so I wouldn't want to get too far from that. A level is my real passion. I'm a bit scared about moving school but wondering if I could negotiate something at my present school as I know they wouldn't want to lose me. Anyideas? I've seen a hod job in a very good 6 th form college I'm thinking about applying for, but concerned about cutting myself off from mainstream. Any advice welcome. Thank you

15. BYusuf

Hi Lobbylocks,

Thank you for your query.

My first question to you would be whether you really want to stay or leave your present school. Let me rephrase it by asking, would you prefer to explore possible options of other roles within your present school or explore the role in the sixth form? Of course you can explore both options if you are really undecided.

Is your school part of a MAT / teaching alliance? If so, it could provide you the opportunity to be seconded to other schools that offers A levels.

If you really are not keen on a HoD role, then a lead practitioner (LP) role may be ideal for you. Generally, the LP provides you a whole school remit linked to teaching and learning. This could be a project / case study which then allows you to focus more upon the students.

If you could do your ideal school based role, what would it be?

Have you spoken to your line manager about possible options that could be pursued within your school?

16. razwan_baber1

razwan_baber1 New commenter

17. BYusuf

Hi razwan_baber1,

Do you have a query or are you just testing this thread out? :)

18. razwan_baber1

razwan_baber1 New commenter

Hi BYusuf,

Apologies, I was just testing the thread out :)

19. BYusuf

Ah. No problem, razwan_baber1 :cool:

20. gemi75

gemi75 New commenter

Hi bukky
    I am currently working in a PRU as a history teacher, have been since September. One of my main motivations for working here was to gain SEN experience and work towards a SENCO role. I wonder if you could please advise me of helpful courses/training or even reading to boost my experience and help me feel more confident when looking for SENCO or asSt SENCO positions.
    Many thanks