1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new campaign idea?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Pennyforyourthoughts, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Considering it was the Labour Government that started the ball rolling with cover by unqualified staff (cover supervisors) back in 2004 I doubt that he will want to expose any cracks that may have started during their term in office. However he may want to highlight the excessive swing for schools to opt for Academy or other status which has in effect given schools a new start with freedom to assess their budgets and staffing needs and to employ who the Head Teacher (powers given to him with confidence from the Government) thinks appropriately suited (qualified or unqualified) for his school. Without a system to monitor this freedom effectively will result in a fragmented education system and will have a knock on effect in the real world of work with employers seeing radical differences nationally regarding final attainment levels, something that we have all witnessed this year with a huge swing in As and A* being awarded.
    Whether this will be for the better or worse................time will tell............

2. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I was thinking that we all posted letters next Wednesday (16th) to Stephen Twigg in his role as shadow S of S for education to explain the situation and asking her to take Mr Gove to task on the issue, it may work and it may not, but if you don't try
    issues for consideration
    * Schools using unqualified support staff to cover and teach lessons on a temporary and increasingly on permanent basis, despite the fact that many have not even got any Gcses.
    * That there is around 45-51,000 supply teachers struggling for work and an estimated 50,000 teachers out of work, yet Mr Gove as no policies to address this high number of teachers looking for work. In fact his only policy is to make the problem worse through 1. allowing overseas teachers to teach in the UK without any restrictions, 2. To recruit any additional 30.000+ new trainee teachers for next year and 3. to allow the schools and academies to use them to continue to use them to use the unqualified to teach.
    * That he openly contradicts himself by saying that he supports teachers, he wants to raise teaching standards and also education standards, and then says that in the new free schools anyone can teach or refuses to ban anyone without a teaching qualification from teaching in state schools or academies. This for me begs the question what is his policy, is it to improve education or not? because using unqualified staff does not improve education in my view
    Mr Stephen Twigg (Liverpool West Derby), Shadow Secretary of state for Education
    House of Commons Westminster London, SW1A0AA

3. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Right, my letter's sorted for next Wed then.
    Fab idea, historygrump, thanks. [​IMG]

4. Weds 16th it is!
    Have written to MP but don't expect a reply this year.
    I'm disappointed with 'colleagues' attitudes towards signing the e petition. In some of the threads all you get is apathy and 'the cats already out of the hat' kindofcrap 'so no need to ask me to waste my precious 5mins'. This needs addressing (down), so will put more energy towards replying to smerky ar*ed full timers. Started to paste the petition link on reply posts on other threads.
    Flyers?

5. historygrump

I will be printing my copy off this weekend, ready to post it on wednesday, I will also lable it private and confidential, BUT THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT. If they get a load of mail/e-mail on the same issue, he may see the opportunity to expose the seriousness of the issue

here is the address and the email address for him
    Mr Stephen Twigg
    MP for Liverpool West Derby
    Shadow S of S for Education
    House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
    Tel: 020 7219 7103
    stephen.twigg.mp@parliament.uk

6. historygrump

My letter is ready to be printed off and to be posted on Wedneaday as agreed.

7. Parliamentary rules say that MPs will only respond to letters from their own contituents so make it clear that you are writing in his capacity of Shadow minister rather than as a constituent.
    I have written to several people and organisations in the past. First to Ed Ball when he was Education Sec. One of his officials replied and an opening statement included the sentence "It was never our intention that support staff should be substitues for qualified teachers. I also wrote to and attended surgeryes with my MP of that time. His excuse for the use of support staff rather than teachers was that the blame should lie with budgetary restrainst, the recession and the NUT.
    Since then I have written to the NUT, my new MP, Lord Hill, Michael Gove, Nick Gibb, GTC, DfE, newspapers and today I have just sent a letter to the TDA. The answers that I have received have been full of the usual sort of weak responses. Nick Gibb, for instance, has said that the head teachers can employ who they like as lon as they follow all regulations and guidelines but we all know that these are being continually ignored. The last comment from Nick Gibb was that he was not prepared to make any further comments on the situation.
    I should add that I have done a survey on the use of support staff during PPA time in Primary schools and have given the results to the survey to my MP, Nick Gibb and the DfE and the TDA. The result answer from my MP and Nick Gibb stated that I was making points about the use of support staff to"cover for absent teachers." I did not mention cover or absent teachers. I can excuse a back bench MP for his ignorance but I cannot excuse the ignorance of a government minister on such a matter.
    Historygrump has done the same thing as me and has also organised the epetition for which there has been such a pathetic response and has urged everybody to continue writing letters etc and I also support that appeal. I have one further suggestion to make and that is to write to the TUC as well. The reason for this suggestion is that many support staff are being forced to take on teaching roles that they do not want and that their unions are working in such a way as to take work away from members of another fellow union of the TUC.
    I have already said that I have done a survey on the use of support staff in primary schools and have published some figures on these forums. I cannot publish the full statistics on here but I am willing to share these results with anybody interested. All I would need is for you to message me to my inbox with your email address and I can easily send you the results which you could use if you wish to present them to your MP. I may even have the results for your local area though I have not named the schools on my survey results.