1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New call centre type call and not even a good one!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Nov 12, 2018.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Man with heavy accent phoning me about the warranty on my washing machine,when pushed he did not seem to know what type of w/machine I had and was just mentioning various brands. By the sound of it,he seems to be trying to sell me some type of insurance. Who knows,I got bored after a few minutes. How many people are going to say yes to something so random?

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Presumably enough to make it worth paying the heavy accented guy to make a few hundred calls per day.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Do you think so?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Gunniest one I had recently was a phone call, purporting to come from BT, from someone heavily accented ,so I had a job to understand half what they were saying, informing me that there had been 'some interference detected on my internet line from a foreign source'. :rolleyes: ;) When I pointed out they were themselves a 'foreign source' they put the phone down on me.

sabrinakat, catmother and phlogiston like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Well I can’t see anyone doing a telesales job for absolutely no pay at all, and I can’t see someone paying him to do it unless they think it will be somehow profitable.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've just googled it and it's a well known scam but it's the first time that I have had this one.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Along with scams for accidents
    Scam for a tax rebate
    Scam for somones used your PayPal
    Scam for some new accessed your bank and you need to return the cards via a courier.
    Scam for some one posing as this company or not..e.g. Your car was in an accident.

8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

No problems for me - I never take extended warranties or insure anything ( except my car) - The saving over ther the years is far greater than any repair /replacement cost ( the worst was a £400 TV that only lasted 2 yrs) . Best one I know of is Hanson Trust Plc that did not insure ANY of its assets against fire damage / loss. It saved millions by effectively insuring itself and having the luxury of deciding whether to repair/rebuild/restock/abandon or sell whenever a fire was involved.