1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Cairo....?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Romydanielle, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Romydanielle

Romydanielle New commenter

Hello everyone. I've got an interview for a school in New Cairo coming up. I'd initially ruled out Cairo because of frightening levels of pollution and general busyness. However, my agent assures me that New Cairo is calmer, greener, cleaner and more spacious. All of this sounds promising. I'm trying to do research online but can hardly find anything because it's such a new city. Has anyone got any advice? I'm a yogi in my spare time and have a really healthy lifestyle so I'm looking for somewhere that can accommodate that in terms of fresh produce / yoga studios, etc. I've located some studios already and an organic delivery service but I did a currency conversion that calculated £50 for a small veg box!! Alarm bells rung and I'm concerned that the cost of living is going to be high. The salary is equal to the UK (albeit tax free) so I'm worried savings potential will be small because of these apparent astronomical living costs. Anyone with inside knowledge?

2. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

I would generally stay clear of Cairo in general. The whole country has gone through lots of economic issues which has impacted many schools and teachers in general. High inflation, an increasing cost of living, some schools have problems obtaining expat work permits, some teachers have problems sending money back home. Subsidises for electricity and petrol have been removed so these are now more expensive than before. If you're desperate then by all means come for a couple of years for the experience and move to somewhere better...

One note of warning... Agents are paid by schools to recruit so they will tell you what you want to hear...

One last note of warning... If this is your real name then please change it. You'll be surprised at how many schools do a 'Digital' internet check to see what teachers are posting.

3. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

My wife and I interviewed for a school there last year. Very slick, impressive interview process but the half-dozen appearances on International Schools Review this year paint a very bleak picture indeed. Drop me a message if you'd like details.

4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@jpgreenwood think that's my old school and the comments on *** do support what I've heard.

New Cairo is less polluted than Cairo because it's higher up and out of the main part of the city. I wasn't aware of the pollution when I was there but it would sometimes be evident in things like the sunsets.

5. jpgreenwood

The one I interviewed at is only in its 2nd or 3rd year of operation, @amysdad - at least as far as I'm aware. They rented their name from C. S. Lewis's old boarding school.

6. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

Stay well clear...! Look at *** for the school reviews. They are very much true!

7. amysdad

@jpgreenwood I agree with Jason - again, what I've heard it's not a happy place.

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

We lost students to them. All, bar one, has returned to us.

The one that has not returned was refused re-admission by us

A lot of the parents appear to be up in arms over proposed "stealth" fees - things that were included in the fees are now "extras"

9. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

The *** reviews really are truly terrible. I hope potential candidates see it and run!

10. amysdad

It's quite sad, actually. The original head seemed like a really nice guy, knew what he was doing, and the kids I knew who moved from my school were happy there. I'd have considered it had I been interested in staying in Cairo, but not now.

11. jpgreenwood

Yeah, he was very impressive - very knowledgeable, personable... he was a major factor in the 'pro' column when we were considering it.

12. bigfatgit

Agreed! Good bloke

As was the Primary Head (also gone)

Neither skipped out of buying their share of the lemonade at the ACE Club. If anything, they were overgenerous

There's another "rent-a-name" school just been announced to be opened in New Cairo.

13. jpgreenwood

Any idea where he ended up?

14. amysdad

No idea - a Google search even comes up blank.

15. bigfatgit

Currently at a Sparkly school in UAE

jpgreenwood likes this.