1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Cairo

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dylan11, Feb 20, 2016.

1. dylan11

dylan11 New commenter

I am very interested in the living conditions in New Cairo.How is the infrastructure like,is it like Cairo or a little bit more quiet? I have lived in many hard ship posting countries and would like to have a really nice place for living,possibly with a cinema and a shopping mall.
    At the moment I am living under difficult conditions like extremely expensive food ( but very low quality),language difficulties, no electricity, no water and that for weeks, rarely AC ,a lot of mozzies bringing malaria and cholera after the rainy season .I wish for a normalish condition of living, do you think, new Cairo fits the bill?

2. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

First of all, New Cairo is / will be huge (projected population of between 5 to 7.5 million)

Cost of living is cheap (unless you want to do the, "I'm an ex-pat and I only eat imported food" route) and everything is available, from street vegetable sellers to international supermarkets (Spinneys & Carrefour)

There are lots of shops and huge malls are springing up all over the place and international brands are filling them up, as are top class restaurants (and the international fast food joints)

Yes, there are occasional power cuts but that happens all over Cairo and you need to buy surge protectors for you computers

A lot of ex-pats choose to live in Ma'adi and commute to / from work. This is because Ma'adi is far more established and has the various ex-pat clubs (ACE, BCA) plus the rugby and softball clubs. The problem with commuting, is that even although the ring road is now 16 lanes wide in places, it can come to a complete standstill resulting in a 30 minute drive becoming a few hours

The only thing that might make it a "hardship post" would be choosing the wrong school

3. dylan11

dylan11 New commenter

Thank you, that sounds like paradise on earth.We haven't chosen a school yet, because we want to move in 2017/18, but we have started to investigate new locations where we want to go.
    I really want to taste food at a food stall without thinking that cholera could be round the corner.That all about Cairo sounds lovely.