1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New build design

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Jun 19, 2019.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Our son has been in his first house for nearly 6 years and is considering a move . He sent for some info on new builds and the designs on some feature a loo off the kitchen ... is it me or does anyone else find this bizarre ? ( house has en-suite and family bathroom )

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Mr E is an architect and we have a loo off the kitchen. It used not to been allowed a long time ago but is now.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think there has to be some sort of "air lock" between the two rooms- a kind of lobby to the loo. is this what he is finding. Maybe that regulation has been changed. If the kitchen was a decent size it wouldn't bother me. Actually, I'm not sure it would be a problem really at all. Particularly if there was a window .
    Just read the above.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I grew up in a (small) house which had its only bathroom/toilet off the kitchen...but then it was built in the 19th C with (I suspect) an outside loo and then had had an extension added to the kitchen where the bathroom/toilet was situated. One got used to it.

Personally, now, that would be a 'no, no' for me and, I suspect, a fair number of other house buyers.

minnie me likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Same. The the bathroom is off the kitchen downstairs at the back of the house. One of the reasons I am desperate to move as winter midnight pees require a long walk. House built in 1910, so probably had an outside bog then. I like that "new builds" seem to have more than one bog, but they are so small and overpriced and often badly built, and for those that get "help to buy" paid for by us into Persimmon's obscene profits.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We've just built our house and all new homes have to have a downstairs loo. We have an ensuit downstairs but is only accessible from the bedroom so we had to have an additional toilet. From what I can remember toilets can now be directly off the kitchen with no lobby in between. We have ours next to the back door in the utility so is accessible from the garden.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Having a downstairs toilet is a good idea, as is having a downstairs bedroom/ensuite in case of ill health or old age - as an alternative to getting a stair lift! But toilet directly off the kitchen...not for me!o_O

agathamorse and minnie me like this.
  8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I agree @FrankWolley, exactly why we had the bedroom built down stairs. Couldn't live with a toilet immediately off the kitchen.

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That used to be the case, but the rule now is that there needs only be a single door providing the toilet includes a basin for hand washing.

10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Back in the late 70s and 80s I worked for the Woolwich BS - remember them? We would not lend on properties that had a loo directly from the kitchen. There had to be a lobby between the two.

However as others have said the building legislation has changed.

agathamorse and emerald52 like this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

We used to have a downstairs toilet off the kitchen but it got stolen in a burglary a couple of years ago. The police managed to come over the same day, but not until the very end of their shift and when they arrived they were just flummoxed.
    They had absolutely nothing to go on.

agathamorse, Jesmond12 and lanokia like this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I expect the new legislation about not having a lobby space between the kitchen and the toilet must be to enable builders to squeeze everything into the tiny new houses. I know we are short on space for building but it is difficult for people to live in such tiny houses.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I read I think but may be mistaken that the UK had the smallest new builds in Europe ? Many thanks for the responses.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The building regulation did indeed require a double door arrangement which I really didn't see the logic of. This was changed to the requirement that you didn't have to go into a food preparation area to wash your hands after going to the toilet, hence a washbasin. (rather more logical)

The one I had in a house I bought in 2000 was a long L-shaped corridor with the loo at the end of it and the basin at the corner.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

If you are happy to keep your toothbrush in the bathroom, open to airborne faecal matter, I don’t see the problem. I keep my toothbrush in the bathroom, by the way.

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

In the meantime you need one of these:

upload_2019-6-19_10-29-24.jpeg

I recall the use of chamber pots in our house when I was very small. My grandmother used one. The other grandparents weren't quite so classy and settled for a bucket.

:oops:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Breasts.
    (Hang on,you'll get the relevance)

Apropos the now outdated requirement for a partitioned space between toilet and food prep or eating area-I always used to be disappointed that in the virtue of hygiene applied by planning regulators, there was always a glaring omission in the case of tiny babies, for if you wanted to breast feed your baby when out and about you invariably were provided with a seat in a toilet room. How gross! When I went out for the first time with my first two babies I remember being signposted to a vinyl breast feeding chair less than a metre away from a John Lewis toilet. I declined the offer and fed as and where we felt like it. If my kid was feeding healthily and happily I didn't really care much about "overspill", although many women (and men) felt and still feel that breastfeeding is an intrinsically private act. Because t(ts are involved. (Phwooar, etc etc)

I guess the public menace of actual visible baps must outweigh the menace of minute particles of human waste surrounding a vulnerable infant whilst feeding. As I said, gross, and a complete oversight by those who allowed it at a time when you needed a whole room to separate a family toilet from a place where you're just making a bit of toast.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Same here. The toilet at my grandparents was downstairs directly off the kitchen.

Using the chamber pot with the light off was more luck than good judgement. It was a bit like echo location. If there was no sound you knew you had missed!

20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Its great you can take a dump with the door open and watch your bacon cooking. Really hygienic that.