1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new BTEC NQF level 2 - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by nikkiball85, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Hi all,

This year we have moved to the new BTEC nqf qualification and I'm really not liking it. The students find it boring and hard and the paper work has increased!

Has anyone started it? Do you like it?

Has anyone considered offering an alternative vocational business qualification?

Thanks

Nikki

2. We find the work more interesting than the 'old' level two course but the work load is vastly increase. we have no idea how a unit can be covered in 30 teaching hours. We have started unit 1 first and are still only 2/3 of the way through it. look at Zig zag education for some good resources.

3. I agree with the first post. Our students are finding the content quite difficult. I am considering jumping ship for next year and returning to good old GCSE Business, the question is which exam board?

4. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

After my group sat the finance test last week I am seriously thinking of not continuing. The example test and the real one are nothing alike; the real one was far more difficult than the example, spec and other level 2 qualifications require.

Following the notice that was published by Edexcel last week "Centres are also reminded that this test is designed to stretch and challenge learners capable of achieving GCSE grade A-C, and is unlikely to be suitable for Year 9 learners" that there has been a number of complaints regarding the difficulty. (I've been told that the IT one is just as difficult)

5. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Out of interest - how many units are you completing? We are just about ready to sit the exam but I am worried that given we only have a year we are never going to get 4 units done.

6. going grey quickly

I am doing units 2, 3 and some of 8 this year with next year finishing off 8 and unit 1 to end with

7. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I take it you are doing it at KS4?

8. going grey quickly

yes; doing the award in one option block

9. I'm thinking the same. Perhaps edexcel?

10. We are doing unit 3 & 8 this year. Next year doing 1 & 2. If you jump ship what would you do instead?

11. going grey quickly

I'm not sure; going to have a good look around but whilst I like Edexcel GCSE the unit 3 paper would be too much for some of my students

12. bizent

bizent Star commenter

We have binned it and are now following the IFS Cert in Personal Finance

13. JohnAdamsonOCR

JohnAdamsonOCR New commenter

14. I been working on the 'old' BTEC Level 2 and just seen the new spec. Anyone know if I can continue with the old spec or am I required to go to the new spec. Email me john.tsang@hotmail.co.uk. Also like opinions please

15. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

No, you must move to the new qualifications from Sep 2014.

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/firsts10/business/pages/viewNotice.aspx?notice=3479