1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Board for Rage-Free-Speech and Opinions?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by jonowen, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Anyone else like to start a new board that does not sink into an abyss of abuse and insults? I am sick of the same old f****s (maybe young ones too) blocking this board with their inane drivel. It used to be an interesting, funny, happy and comfortable place to express opinions but sadly is not like this anymore.
    If you MUST discuss/debate like this please go over to the main Opinion board where you will be met with equally challenging diatribe.
    [​IMG]

2. jonowen

Anyone else like to start a new board that does not sink into an abyss of abuse and insults? I am sick of the same old f****s (maybe young ones too) blocking this board with their inane drivel. It used to be an interesting, funny, happy and comfortable place to express opinions but sadly is not like this anymore.
    If you MUST discuss/debate like this please go over to the main Opinion board where you will be met with equally challenging diatribe.
    [​IMG]

3. I second that.

4. yup. I agree.

5. You want a happy, optimistic board or a happy pessimistic board?

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]And that's not insulting and abusive?
    [​IMG] Why are you telling other people to go away when its you who wants to start a rage-free speech discussion board elsewhere?

7. Personal is pretty rage free. I think teachers are more rage filled at the moment because of all the CfE stuff, Nationals, pensions etc. Some of it spills over when these things are discussed here.

8. jonowen

This is exactly ther kind of post I'm referring to (altho' to be fair, Kibosh is far from the rudest poster on here). We used to have a laugh about the football, moan about colluegues, ask advice from Dom, commiserate when appropriate but now it's arguing,name-calling and not the refuge it used to be.
    You're right Kibosh - it's me who should find another board - I just wanted to see who shared my opinion on this so thank you to posters who do.
    [​IMG]

9. I do!
    I read these boards / threads all the time but hardly ever post because of the liklehood of an abusive response!
    I also find it totally depressing sometimes to read how thoroughly p155ed off we all are ( inc England)
    [​IMG]

10. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

I think a forum has a kind of organic nature to it and a lifespan. There are folk coming on with an axe to grind and I may have been guilty of that, but there's also a kind of inane panic disguised with slurs coming from a few new board members. None of what the latter kind produce is very funny or constructive and I think that as long as any cynical/pessimistic posting is met with levity - which it usually is - then we maintain an intelligent board.

If I wasn't Voltairean I'd rid most of the boards of any kind of entitled and or self pitying members who won't take advice or criticism and - despite being in academia - seem completely unaware how to hold a debate. Jonowen, you are not one of those, but there are plenty who are.

Sometimes here is the only safe place very isolated souls can turn to in order to vent or complain or seek help. Our profession is one of personalities. Freezing-out, bullying, detrimental legislation or anything that impedes positive use of our ego and expression is a grim thing. This board can be an antidote to that sometimes.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think the OP has been posting on here for a long time and so have I. When the Scotland part of TES started,it was indeed a far nicer place that the main Opinion and I think most posters were genuine. However, I suspect that we now have trolls and posters who post under multiple identities,often in order to fuel controversy by posting opposite points of view on the same thread.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Eh, excuse me, but you can tell me where I have called posters names on here? You just have, at the very start of your thread.
    Am I supposed to take this comment seriously?
    But it's ok for you to do it?

13. I've not posted as long as Jonowen or Catmum but even when I started reading here in 2007, there were arguments and insults going on. I tend to post less fluffy, personal stuff here than on the main forums and I'd be less likely to post a specific problem too because I think Scottish teaching can be a very small world and I wouldn't want to be identified. I think many people who used to post here a lot have moved on, maybe to FB or Twitter, and there is not the traffic or variety of people to cushion the effects of the few arguments that go on.

14. My goodness yes, Johnowen. A wonderful idea.

You see, my dear old husband (we share just the one machine in the downstairs study) does get carried away so. The only mercy is that he has more sense than to believe in conspiracy theories and trolls. Now, don’t get paranoid that he will be cross with me, there’s no chance that he would open your nice wee thread and we have been married long enough now for him to know better than risk the sharp end of my tongue!
    And, you know, as my own dear Mother always used to say, there’s nothing like a nice wee chat. A nice wee electronic tea party with virtual scones would be just lovely. And, as the vicar’s wife was saying at the last Mothers’ Meeting, there’s nothing to beat a friendly chin-wag.
    Such a dear, dear lady, Euphemia is. Terrible pity that, you know, about her wee boy at Edinborrow, at the University. She’s all upset that his English roommate is gay. I have nothing against the English, mind you, but I just don’t see why it should bother Euphemia if Alaistair is gay, he always was a cheerful wee boy. And my old friend Dorothy thinks much the same about Sandy. Are you a friend of Dorothy’s?
    Now, can you settle an argument? Mrs Kilwinning, that’s his old mother, thinks you should never make any one side of your flower arrangements higher than the midpoint. Am I just being eccentric?
    I’d love to stay awhiles longer with your twee wee thread and discuss the great issues facing this nation today, scones, flowers and so on. But there’s Bernard’s dinner to make.
    Love,
    Gertrude (that’s McAber to my own name).

15. I agree jonowen. [​IMG]