1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New blog about being a dyslexic teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Dyslexic_Teacher, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Dyslexic_Teacher

Dyslexic_Teacher New commenter

2. Dyslexic_Teacher

Dyslexic_Teacher New commenter

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I can understand how spell-check etc can allow a dyslexic teacher to prepare accurate powerpoints and worksheets but I don't understand how a dyslexic teacher can write accurately on the board in class or how they can properly correct work in pupils' exercise books.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually spellcheck won't necessarily help. The programme will often let spellings through as it doesn't recognise grammar or homonyms.
    However most dyslexics who work within a certain sector ( eg I once knew a chemist who just checked all spellings first time- fairly crictical in such a career) just learn to check spellings carefully.

5. amchugh

amchugh New commenter

Great blog, I love your conversational writing style. I've recently started a blog of my own - something I've been putting off for years! Take at look at www.teachingandlearningguru.com and let me know what you think. I post every week so subscribe and you'll receive each post in your inbox.

6. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

I'm dyslexic (not too bad) and there are ways to get around things.
    I do prepare lessons a lot using ICT, so that sorts a lot of things. On a day to day basis I am confident to write on the board as I'm using subject specific language and symbols a lot of the time and I read and re-read constantly. I rephrase to avoid words I can't spell.

When I mark I check using a dictionary, if I need to. There's not enough technical language in an ACE so I just us a normal one. My books are considered outstanding in every book scrutiny as I check literacy errors carefully; because of my own problems I think it's important to help pupils improve SPaG.

I've also worked on a research project looking at effective ways to improve spelling across the curriculum. That's been commended by a LA Literacy adviser.

So yes. A dyslexic teacher can teach, can write on the board, can mark books effectively.

How? through lots and lots of extra time. Time in planning and especially in marking as it does take me a lot longer to mark than my colleagues. 70 hour weeks are common but it's worth it for my pupils to get a good deal and me to feel as though I'm doing a good job for them