1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Author - When to expect first sale?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by bramblesarah, Mar 8, 2020.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi All,
    I have uploaded my first pay for resource yesterday. I have a 5 free ones which have been very popular. The last free resource I uploaded, about 1 week ago, got downloaded with in a few hours of upload. I was wondering how long it took you to get your first sale? My plan was to try to upload 1 new resource per week, but maybe I should wait until I have actual had a sale. If it hasn't been purchased by anyone after 1 week does that normally mean that it isn't a resource that people aren't interested in purchasing? My most popular free resource has had over 4k downloads. What is a the most downloads you have had for free and paid for resources?
    Thanks for your help :)

2. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

Hi,

There's no hard and fast rule to when a new resource will have it's first sale. It can entirely depend on the season and whether your resource is "in season" - E.g. Rounders resource for PE won't sell during the winter as no one is doing it. If it hasn't been purchased in a week this doesn't mean that It won't be in the future. The beauty of this is once it's uploaded it's there forever (in theory).

I would check to see where your resource is on the search ranking as this can be a major factor in it getting seen therefore impacting whether or not you sell it. Try searching the key terms you think a teacher would search for in order for your resource to be seen and see which page it appears on. Most teachers will only scroll through about 3 maybe 4 pages max looking for things. If it's below this -> Here is a good place to start for getting resources found https://www.tes.com/author-academy/growing-your-shop/seo-best-practice-advice-resources

The more resources you have the more likely you are to get found. I would recommend linking to your paid resources (if they're similar) on your free resources page (there is the ability to add links in the descriptions). Along the lines of "If you like this, you might like this.....[link]"

Hope that's a useful starting point for you and feel free to ask questions if none of that makes sense!

nwilkin likes this.
  3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Thanks you so much for your reply. It makes sense. I think I am probably worrying about nothing good idea about the linking in the free resource description I will definely try that. :)