1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NEW AUTHOR TIERS - QUERY

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by labellaroma, Dec 1, 2018.

1. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

Two days ago when I was a GOLD author the TES royalty on a £3.30 resource was .55p. Today as a SILVER author I have just sold a £3.30 resource but the TES royalty is now .99p!! WOW!! Can Tes please explain how going from earning 80% to 70% justifies them doubling their royalty fees?

Nik_Bernaz likes this.
  2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @labellaroma ,

The 55p would be because the purchaser was subjected to VAT at 20%, so TES would have taken 20% of £2.75.

The 99p would be 30% of your full £3.30, so the purchaser was not subjected to VAT at 20%.

You would normally expect to get 30% of £2.75, which is 82.5p. (Hopefully, Tes would round this up to 83p!)

tesd.gif

Bronze authors will receive approximately 50% of the price being charged, so a £3.30 resource would (normally) attract £1.65 royalty.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  3. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

Hi @mathsmutt. Thank you for your explanation. However I would still like Tes to reply and justify why they have taken .99p... it doesn't sound right to me!

mathsmutt, MosaiK and Nik_Bernaz like this.
  4. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

I agree with @mathsmutt , it sounds like there was VAT on one and not on the other. TES only take commission after VAT so if there is no VAT then their commission would be from a larger share as it is on the total price and not the total price minus VAT. If you want a direct answer from TES then I would email authors@tes.com to ask them but it adds up if you take into account the varying VAT.

mathsmutt likes this.