1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Author Royalty Explained

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, May 16, 2016.

1. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam New commenter TES Authors' forum host

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter Forum guide and community helper

vat.gif

Before anyone says it should be £0.20 :)

wroberts3 and Skillsheets like this.
  3. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

I think the manner of the announcement should have been more 'up front', but nonetheless this is a good explanation thanks.

The new author rate doesn't effect me but it seems a poor rate of return for somebody to receive less than half the income for a digital resource but I guess if people are happy with that it is their choice.

I understand VAT has to be covered somewhere but it makes for a more complex method for calculating returns than is the case with other sites. I'd thought the UK market was TES's biggest strength when considering that other sites are already very well established in the US and therefore I'd have expected more incentives for people to create UK resources, but costing in VAT in this way seems a disincentive for UK sellers.

Sales from down under will be very welcome :rolleyes:;)

4. StartEducation

StartEducation New commenter

Many thanks for the explanation TES. It is a lot clearer now and I am looking forward to being able to provide Art and Creativity resources to the US, Australia and beyond ..... As well as the UK of course!

tes_natalie likes this.
  5. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Putting my prices up in July then :(

6. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Oh, and don't forget that we also pay income tax on our earnings, so knock another 20ish % off royalties! Jeez, becoming a millionaire is gonna take me longer than I thought!!!

7. mathsmutt

(At risk of playing Devil's Advocate)
    Will TES continue to pay royalties based on the full price during a sale, as what kindly happens at the moment, or will the practice of other online publishing retailers of paying royalties based on the cost price at time of purchase follow ?
    :p

8. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam New commenter TES Authors' forum host

@mathsmutt - yes! We will continue to pay royalties on the full-price of the resource subject to the level you are in and where your buyer is located, however we will explore and implement some new rules once we launch seller-controlled discounts. More on that to come :)

9. mathsmutt

10. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

Thanks @TES Resource Team for the explanation and advance email warning. I am one lesson short of bronze status so I better get working on adding more. I just want them to be PEEERRRFECT before uploading. I have hundreds of lessons I want to add - but less than 10 so far!

11. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Thanks for detailed explanation!

12. WkndCoder

WkndCoder New commenter

@tesresources team great post. I have recently joined TES and was wondering how this worked. Thanks for the clear and concise post. Hope to start adding resources to my shop pretty soon. Never know I might even make it to gold status one day ;-)

13. nick_redshaw

nick_redshaw New commenter

Thank you