1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Art Teacher

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by josevalcarcel, Jun 23, 2016.

1. josevalcarcel

josevalcarcel New commenter

Hi there! I am a Spanish who has been working as a teacher (Primary and Spanish) in England for about a year. The thing is I recently managed to find a job as a Primary Art Teacher. Despite the fact that I studied History of Art in Spain, I have never worked as an Art Teacher before, so that I am entirely lost. I tried to find the English National Curriculum but, what I found, was quite vague and disperse. This is the role of my life!
    Could someone please recommend books, websites, resources to start with?

Thank you very much in advance, any kind of help will be highly appreciated.

2. tomyum

tomyum New commenter

There are loads of ideas, resources, links to blogs etc on Pinterest. As a lot of it is US-based, try searching for 'Elementary Art projects' or similar.

If you've studied History of Art, why not start by considering what you know in terms of artists, movements, periods etc, then building practical activities and lesson plans into that?

It would also be worthwhile finding out what your new school expect from the role: will your lessons be expected to run alongside other projects the students might be doing in other lessons? How does Art fit into the curriculum as a whole and who will you be working with? Who will be your team leader and what do they have to say about what they want from you?

Skills-based teaching is essential: consider the practical skills and knowledge you expect your students to learn in your lessons. For instance, when painting, you should consider marks and textures, colour mixing, working on different grounds, handling brushes in a variety of ways etc. For drawing, you would want your students to explore line, tone, texture, observational skills etc.

For what it's worth, I will be teaching some much younger classes next year that I have ever taught before and I'm more than a little bit apprehensive about it! Good luck.

pepper5 and airun like this.
  3. josevalcarcel

josevalcarcel New commenter

Wow, thank you very much. You are completely right, there are quite a lot of questions and every school is slightly different. Thanks a lot tomyum!

4. TheArtyTeacher

TheArtyTeacher New commenter

5. briroll

briroll New commenter

If you are interested in adding clay modelling to your classroom i have just added a Pottery Tutorial to my tes shop briroll.
    The shop also includes a number of resources that may be of help to you.. Regards Brian.
    Ps. our website is also a source of pottery resources. www.bmpotterycrafts.com

6. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

If you're teaching Art in Primary, then the emphasis will really be on actual Artwork and practical stuff. Your experience of History of Art will support that, but it's not the main thing. Make sure you can demonstrate / cope/ control practical activities and that you organise well.