1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New art coordinator

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by HyperBunny, Jun 18, 2011.

1. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Hi all!
    In September I will have my first coordinator role in art, which I am looking forward to! (I can hear some of you groan!)
    I have had some in house advice from past coordinators which has been really useful. We are now moving into a creative curriculum so budgets may be shared and/or there will be a cross over with materials/equipment with D&T.
    I am not looking to reinvent the wheel, but inject enthusiasm into the school (can you tell I'm an NQT!).
    Does anyone have a bank of websites that I could dip into or any useful advice/forms etc? I am really keen on being apart of The National Gallery 'One Picture', has anyone done it?
    Thanks xx

2. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Hi all!
    In September I will have my first coordinator role in art, which I am looking forward to! (I can hear some of you groan!)
    I have had some in house advice from past coordinators which has been really useful. We are now moving into a creative curriculum so budgets may be shared and/or there will be a cross over with materials/equipment with D&T.
    I am not looking to reinvent the wheel, but inject enthusiasm into the school (can you tell I'm an NQT!).
    Does anyone have a bank of websites that I could dip into or any useful advice/forms etc? I am really keen on being apart of The National Gallery 'One Picture', has anyone done it?
    Thanks xx

3. Hi, Hyperbunny!
    I too have taken over the role as subject leader for Art this year. I have exactly the same situation you have described above. (Although I'm not lucky enough to have the energy of an NQT!)
    I have held off making any detailed plans for the next academic year as we were all advised to wait until we had recieved all the relevant information/training for the Creative C. Our school is holding a 'Take One Picture' week THIS WEEK. All staff have planned for a weeks activities based around 'The Family Of Darius Before Alexander' using the Creative. C. key skills. We will be having a whole staff meeting next week to discuss our thoughts and ideas for the way forward as subject leaders. (We took part in 'Take One Picture' for the past two years with great enthusiasm and results! I was lucky enough to go to the National Gallery for the training this year. VERY INSPIRING!!! Book for next year asap!)
    I agree with you, don't reinvent the wheel. If some existing topics work well, keep them. Look at the areas staff and children are less inspired by. Ask them how they see art and creativity being introduced into their new 'Themes' (I guess you are using 'themes' as suggested for Creative.C) Have you collated a topic map for each year group yet?
    I too am a little worried about starting with Creative C. and ensuring everything is covered as it should be across the whole school. However, over the next two weeks I intend speaking to staff members about their personal experience of inspirational art topics of the past, before sitting down with the key skills documents and making a rough whole school outline of suggested activities linked with class themes. Just remember, the focus are the skills not a finished product. Use your creativity to help inspire!
    I'll keep you posted with our progress if you feel it would help?

4. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Yes please keep me updated that would be lovely! Is getting on the 'One Picture' course easy to do, or is oversubscribed?
    I've offered to do a skills workshops with teachers (if they want it), I'm not an expert but will give it ago! Like you I've also suggested activities they could do within their topic and help plan out role play areas. I need to do a resources audit before Sep, so I know what type of things classes need as well as what specific art resources they want for each topic.
    Thank you Oxfordjob! [*]

5. Hi, my school recently got a new art co-ordinator and she's fab. To assess art she asks that every half term the children do a self portrait in their 'portrait' book- this follows them through school so their progression if really obvious and easy to see- one way to moderate and assess a tricky subject. We also have progression in skills sheets which we highlight every half term according to the skills etc we've covered. BY the end of the year the whole grid should be highlighted, showing that full coverage has been achieved. I think that these are available on-line if you search. Worth a shot!
    Are NQT's supposed to have a curriculum role? I was under the impression that they were not.

6. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

The children do a self portrait in their portfolio each year, and that shows progresssion. I'm an NQT now, won't be in Sep, the enthusiasm is still there though!
    I'm going to have a search for skills now, the grids sound really interesting. Thanks xx

7. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

8. If you're not already I'd make sure your school joined NSEAD - they have a magazine, tons of resources, networking opportunities and CPD and are a great first port of call...also, maybe consider doing something for The Big Draw...that's in October so could be a way to raise the profile of art from the very start.
    Naomi x

9. Differnt forms of 'take one pic' extist across the country - so worth checking with your local galleries. The National Gallery one is usually based on a narrative piece whereas others (eg Leeds) deliberately avoid this form and challenge teachers and pupils in their thinking with more contemporary artworks.

10. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

As suggested; join NSEAD! Look at primary section of their website too.