1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New arrangements for GCSE next year.

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by deut, Jan 18, 2012.

1. deut

deut New commenter

With Year 9 Options fast approaching does anyone know if arrangements for GCSE examinations are to change in light of the insistence on GCSE assessments becoming linear? Will there still be one summative exam for each short course? Is the only difference that to gain a full GCSE students have to be entered for two short courses with both to be sat at the end of Year 11?
    I can't see anything on the website. Anyone know anything?

2. As far as I know I think that is the case - but don't quote me 100% on it.

3. I thought you that Short courses were being removed.. again don't quote me on this, however in my 1 hour a week I am taking all pupils through the full course.

4. thebishop

thebishop New commenter

I think you've just about nailed it Deut! There is no reason why Short Courses can't run, but as you suggest, the exams will be taken at the end of Year 11, which means that whereas in the past some teaechers have taken one exam in Year 10 and topped up to Full Course for those who wished to in Year 11, this option has now gone. That is of course if like you I read the blurb correctly!!

5. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

There's no reason inherent in the changes which would prevent an exam board offering short course, but that's quite different to saying that either the boards will stop offering it, or schools will stop running it.
    Currently we have many schools who offer a half GCSE at RS and a half at some other subject, and add them together to form a whole GCSE. They often do this by pupils starting RS in Year 9.
    Many schools will feel they should not expect a pupil to sit an examination in the Summer of Year 11 answering questions on topics studied in Year 9. That being the case, many schools currently offering half a GCSE at RS + another half may stop doing so. Many will think a half GCSE in RS is worthless on its own.
    If that happens, and schools stop buying into short course, the boards will stop offering it. They're companies who exist to make money, and they're not going to continue to offer a course that no one is taking.
    Time will tell.
    Steve W

6. I emailed OCR regarding their Philosophy and Ethics GCSE B601, B602, B603, B604.
    I received the following reply:
    "Thank you for your email.

This basically depends on what years you were
    panning on entering them in.

If you were panning on their final exams
    being in 2013 then what you suggest below is fine. (2 exams at the end of year 10, 2 exams at the end of year 11 to make up the full course)

If however you were
    planning on finishing in 2014 then you would need to enter for all four units in
    2014 as by this point the qualification will be linear with 100% terminal
    rule."

7. Yes deut, this is the issue we have.
    At the moment all students sit the short course over year 9 and 10 with the exam in year 10. We then offer the otehr short course, making a full course to year 11- we get about 70 opting to do it.
    We are going to have to drop it and offer it as a pure option, meaning that we probably won't get as many as we will be up against History ( a very popular subject here) and other Ebacc subjects. It is a shame for us as in year 11 many pupils enjoy it (in fact one of my classes is twilight so they give up their own time for it) but many have said if they had been asked in year 9 to choose between RS and say History or Drama they wouldn't have chosen it.