1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New AQA geography fieldwork

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Megi25, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Megi25

Megi25 New commenter

Does anyone out there have ideas about GCSE fieldwork for the new AQA spec? The spec says
    "two enquiries must be carried out in contrasting environments and show an understanding of both physical and human geography. In at least one of the enquiries students are expected to show an understanding about the interaction between physical and human geography".

It also says that pupils should conduct these investigations on two separate occasions but I recently went on an AQA course where I was told that two occasions means two registration periods I.e. a morning and an afternoon and so technically both investigations can be conducted in one day.

I'm struggling to think of a low cost idea that will allow over 200 pupils to complete their fieldwork whilst spending minimal time out of school missing lessons!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. Ohumphrey

Ohumphrey New commenter

Sorry if this is a bit late but thought I would tell you what we have done.

We did a trip to Bognor Regis to investigate coastal processes. Started the day with a talk from the Bognor town manager and the man in charge of the coastal defences (this was kindly put on in their Uni campus free of charge). Then went to the beach and conducted numerous methods of data collection. e.g questionnaires, field sketches, EVQ, pedestrian counts, measuring LSD etc.

Our second trip is all about the impact a large shopping centre has on small independent shops. We will do this next academic term in a single afternoon. Will be a short coach journey to our local shopping centre, Watford.

Both trips only incur the cost of the coach. If you planned it you could maybe do a trip to the coast, and in the afternoon look at the human impact of tourism.

I hope this helps.