1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NEW AQA GCSE spoken language

Discussion in 'English' started by Kidders, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Can someone please help - I can't find anything on the new speaking and listening component... No mark schemes to use or suggested tasks! I'd like to get this out of the way as it doesn't contribute to the overall GCSE, but not sure where to begin!

Do we need to record these like the iGCSE spec asks or are AQA just expecting us to fill in grids/ mark schemes and send the marks off??!

Does anyone know, AQA website hasn't been much use!

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

More final details were released by the exam boards (spoken language is identical across all boards) last autumn. This includes the mark scheme. There are also some exemplar presentations to watch.

AQA's copy of this information is at http://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/eng...-assessment-guide-spoken-language-endorsement

You will need to film a sample of 30 presentations (three at each grade). There will be no marks, only grades. The paperwork for recording students' grades hasn't been released yet. It seems that this will be coming out in September. AQA does therefore seem to be implying that spoken language should be left until Year 11.

4. install

install Star commenter

Yes it's a pass, merit or distinction. A very odd state of affairs indeed when it doesn't count towards the Exam grade itself.

Yet Speaking counts towards the grade in these European languages - French, German, Italian, Spanish and others. Work that one out...

5. i-mod

i-mod New commenter

"I'd like to get this out of the way as it doesn't contribute to the overall GCSE"
    Hm... So, no value in oracy as a learning medium or essential skill for developing thinking and social interaction, or for classroom dialoguing with teachers and peers?
    A pity. Recommend a re-think based on educational rather than base instrumental priorities.

6. install

install Star commenter

Speaking skills are important of course for many reasons...the Gov't just doesn't rate the Speaking of English as important as that of other languages...