1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New AQA GCSE History (8145)

Discussion in 'History' started by arthcase, Sep 19, 2016.

1. arthcase

arthcase New commenter

What are people teaching for this? I am doing:

• America, 1840 - 1895
    • Conflict and tension in Asia, 1950 - 1975
    • Britain: Health and the people: c1000 to present day
    • Norman England, c1066 - c1100
    Would be great to hear how other people are approaching the new spec.

2. bpj920001

bpj920001 New commenter

Teaching the same except for the mormans we are studying Elizabeth- how are you finding it?

3. arthcase

arthcase New commenter

I am close to finishing Health and the People, currently on Industrial Public Health, hoping to wrap it up and move on to Korea and Vietnam. I have found the British focus somewhat arbitrary as there is still a lot of time assigned to wider Europe. Quite a lot there for the advised 30 lessons. What did you start with? How are you finding it?

4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Migration, Empire and the people
    Elizabeth
    Germany
    Conflict and tension in Asia.

Just finishing up Germany in the spring half term. We're doing 20th century stuff in year 10, breadth and depth studies in year 11, though that may change.

Picked Elizabeth and Asia since they fit nicely with our A-Level units. Migration is a bit of a shot in the dark but it seems interesting.

5. Cbroadbent123

Cbroadbent123 New commenter

HOw are people finding teaching the exam questions? personally i find them wholly unsuitable for 15 year olds 9interpretations are too difficult) and on top of that there are too many questions in each paper.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Germany 1890-1918
    Health and the people
    Conflict 1945-72 (not asia, the one with the 'old' cold war spec going to detente
    Normans

Same vision as Varcolac in how we are structuring the course.

A quick question. Has anyone ever used Kerboodle or have any views on it? Just signed up for a free trial, but looking at it, not sure at all about it?

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think the mark schemes are vague...

Got to be honest, the number of questions concerns me. A lot of different techniques to drum into the pupils. Are you talking about the interpretation questions 'which do you find the most convining' Why do they differ? How do they differ? to be fair, I am not too concerned about these.

8. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

If anything our students over-thought those ones. Had to break it down so much. How do they differ = content. Why do they differ = provenance. Which is more convincing = own knowledge plus the previous two questions. Once we drilled that into their heads a few times it was much easier.

9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Did exactly the same! Glad we are on the same page.

My only issue was that kids wrote too much, confusing 'why' and 'how'