1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New AQA Food preparation and Nutrition

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by KM Middleton, Oct 22, 2015.

1. KM Middleton

KM Middleton New commenter

Hi, I am preparing to start the new food GCSE in September but is anyone else concerned of the cost factor or how to make it more accessible for lower ability students? or timetabling due to the 3 hour block practical?

2. Babycakes77

Babycakes77 New commenter

Ohhhhhh! I sighed a big sigh when I read your post. I have EXACTLY the same concerns as you over the new food qualification.

First of all, I think it has caught a lot of food teachers on the back foot, we haven't had a great deal of time to prepare for this, moreover to resource it (the rest of D&T have another year until their major changes come in). My HOF knows nothing about it and hasn't made a decision as to which board to follow yet. However, all of the boards offering the FP&N course seem to be much of a muchness!

Don't laugh.....but I actually wrote to the PM and Secretary of State (Education....and then I wrote one to the Health Secretary too) about this issue and posted them last Thursday, especially within the context of food and the role it plays within the prevention of childhood obesity.

I have taught food for 16 years now and this course has been designed as a result of upper middle class twits meddling in things they THINK they know about (Mr Dimbleby). The previous GCSE and A'Level wasn't perfect, but it wasn't just about designing pizza boxes if it was taught well).

The GCSE course is cloaked in snobbery and unless we get some funding or food industry sponsorship (from one of the big four supermarkets) it will sound the death knell for food education in this country; having the opposite effect of what it was designed to do. Having a 'food education' in this country is now based upon your ability to pay, rather than schools resourcing it properly.

I invited the Education Secretary to come and look in my store cupboard (I'm quite harmless) to see that I have a 1970's Kenwood with a bent dough hook and a few aprons (some even have strings). In my filing cabinet, I have a few worksheets (we can't afford a repro bill) and some tatty dishcloths.

My husband despairs of me raiding our food stocks at home and is sick of me paying out for ingredients. We can no longer afford to demonstrate recipes before we make, tasting sessions and product analysis is limited to exam groups if we are lucky.

Boning out a full chicken and pin-boning salmon fillet is a long shot, but BEFORE you could interpret that more cheaply, parents need to know how to shop wisely and where to shop. I have parents who complain about the cost of veggie soup. Forget Pupil Premium money, that pot of money never finds its way down to Technology, I have begged, pleaded and written endless 'barriers' to learning' documents to highlight that 'lack of progress' is down to none participation in practical work.

I have in the past washed cars, written to big business, won competitions, written to the council to fund food related school trips, pay for equipment etc. I can't be bothered to do that anymore, and I shouldn't have to.

So, back to your original question! I have designed a wise shopping leaflet (where to buy and what), I have a suggested costing sheet with all the costs of the required ingredients (per 100g), I have made friends with my local butcher and game-keeper (we no longer have a fish monger - go figure)! I hope that they will come and demo for me - otherwise, I'm left with YouTube.

So, we will see how this pans out - I can quite imagine the letters from parents complaining about cost already, and as I always say in my pre-GCSE options letter, learning to cook from scratch these days is simply not cheap!!!!

Hopefully, some more food teachers will read this thread.
    Love and luck,
    Laura

ktom and julianjoro like this.
  3. Babycakes77

Babycakes77 New commenter

As for the three hour block practical - in essence it's an 'exam', speak to your line manager and exam's officer and have your diary to hand, that one can go on the school calendar, according to your time schedule and theirs. All good fun :)
    Laura x

4. MrsFoodPrepNut

MrsFoodPrepNut New commenter

I am attending interviews and have to suss out how well prepared the schools I am visiting are to support Food Prep & Nutrition and it's cost. I would hate to spend a year in a school that would have me "raiding my cupboards at home". I like the idea of getting parents on board by students bringing in ingredients for the GCSE.

Pupil Premium should account for some ingredients.

For school that insist you buy the ingredients but don't want to give you the credit card consider buying ingredients via the contract caterers. It may take negotiation but prices are cheaper.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Imagine if parents were told that they had to supply and pay for the chemicals for Chemistry experiments!