1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New AQA Examiner for SCLY2 - anyone else out there?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by anon3767, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I've recently been accepted as an examiner for AWA SCLY2. I've done the standardisation and the 1st and 2nd batch. To be honest, I've not done very good one some aspects of it and my marking in some cases was well out. I've got to do another allocation of scripts before I can begin to mark. It's worrying me a bit that I'm just not getting it.

Can anyone reassure me that they once struggled being a new marker? If so, how did you get through it?

2. Hi all,

I've recently been accepted as an examiner for AWA SCLY2. I've done the standardisation and the 1st and 2nd batch. To be honest, I've not done very good one some aspects of it and my marking in some cases was well out. I've got to do another allocation of scripts before I can begin to mark. It's worrying me a bit that I'm just not getting it.

Can anyone reassure me that they once struggled being a new marker? If so, how did you get through it?

3. Oops! AQA, not AWA!

4. Hey there. I did my first series last year, now moving on to the second.
    I similarly felt very anxious about the standardisation procedure etc; give me your e-mail and I can give you some tips / reassurance.

5. Yep, I did it last year and had to send a First Phase Sample off...this year I haven't. I found it hard going last year, just getting my head around the processes and the marking. Have found it easier this year.

6. HI all

Well after all of that worrying, I might as well have not bothered. I got a call to say there were some "discrepancies" in my marking so I've effectively been sacked! GREAT!!!

7. Oh no! How rubbish [​IMG] At least you don't have to spend your free time marking 600 rubbish essays, I suppose...

8. Yes, that was the 'silver lining' I suppose!
    I couldn't believe how harsh they were about it. Pretty much: "you're not good enough so we won't be needing your services anymore". No thank you for my time, or they valued the work I'd done for them up to that point.
    I'd spent over 25 hours on the marking, bought a folder; dividers; stationary; and printed a folder's worth of paper to prepare me for my marking to get a measly £70 for my efforts. I get that doing 2 hours supply!
    I really needed this to boost my CV and help me with my future teaching. The least they could have done is given me feedback, but they haven't even done that! [​IMG]

9. Ask for specific feedback then. Discrepancies in your marking sounds quite a serious thing - it might be that you were heavily under or over marking. I know it's inconvenient and you might have had your hopes set on the money and experience, but I for one am glad AQA are being so rigorous.

10. I have asked for detailed feedback. I really wanted to make a difference so I am as baffled as anyone else why I wasn't allowed the have further training and get more specific help.

11. My sympathies for your bad experience. I think the crucial point in your last post is 'why I wasn't all owed the have further training'. AQA are doing everything on the cheap so the training (sic) is a load of online videos to work through at your own time and expense. Prpoer training would be a face to face session followed up by a mentor to help new examiners develop the skills and expertise. Any chance of that happening??? Don't hold your breath

12. I totally agree. Unfortunately it was very much a stab in the dark of hoping I'd understood what was required of me. I'm very disappointed in the way I've been treated and disregarded.

13. As an AQA examiner of several years' experience consistently graded Good, I failed the online 1st phase sample for SCLY4 - I have never failed a sample before, and am awaiting my feedback for the sent scripts.
    I have no confidence in the procedure.
    The mark scheme is imprecise.
    The standardisation scripts have to be printed out and then the comments are appended to the back and not easily matched to the scripts.
    With only 5 sample scripts there isn't sufficient range to benchmark your marks
    There is no chance of dialogue or professional discussion as per the old standardisation meetings.
    The online process takes too long and the window is inadequate.

14. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this process! Have you heard back yet? I have had zero feedback.

15. Absolutely, I think I'm going to try and get OCR marking for next year :(

16. Yes, they currently need examiners. However, they too are moving to online standardisation from next year, although I hear that the software they use is much better.