1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New AQA English exam grades - is this true?

Discussion in 'English' started by Melancholie, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Melancholie

Melancholie New commenter

I've been told students will now be able to achieve a B grade on the foundation paper but my HoD hasn't heard this. Can anyone confirm?

2. Melancholie

Melancholie New commenter

I've been told students will now be able to achieve a B grade on the foundation paper but my HoD hasn't heard this. Can anyone confirm?

3. AST_25

AST_25 New commenter

Yes, our 2nd in dept was told that students can get a B in the foundation paper when she attended an AQA meeting just before Christmas.

4. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

It's true - can get B in foundation. Can also sit foundation in one paper, and higher in another!

5. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Yes it's possible for students to get a B when the marks across all the units are aggregated. In fact, it is theoretically possible to get an A (though highly unlikely)!

6. As the exam is now worth 40% and the coursework is worth 60%, if a student does really well on the foundation exam paper and has high coursework marks in both S & L and written pieces, it is possible for them to get a B grade. Heard that direct from the exam board.
    However, as exam boards aren't releasing grade boundaries until the exams, we won't be able to see the proof of this yet!

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Oh, the fun I have had this week with this...
    I called AQA to find out what levels the papers were aimed at so that we could do the exam entries, and the nice man said that they couldn't say becausethe first awarding meeting hadn't happened yet, which is fair enough. But when I asked whether I was right in thinking that they could be entered for different tiers within the same subject, he didn't know. He advised me to read the spec, which I had, and couldn't find anything, and then said was "thought it would be okay." Great.

8. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

This only applies to English Literature since this is the only spec with two externally examined components. Students can sit Higher for Unit 1 and Foundation for Unit 2 or 4, or vice versa.