1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

New AQA - a B grade for F tier pupils? (Regents Reject?)

Discussion in 'English' started by Spassky, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Is it true? Can pupils entered for an F tier exam get a B overall? How come? I'd appreciate it if anyone knows the answer.

2. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Is it true? Can pupils entered for an F tier exam get a B overall? How come? I'd appreciate it if anyone knows the answer.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I was told this at a Preparing to Teach meeting. Apparently, it's not a new thing and comes about when students get an A in coursework and a C in the exam (or something like that). Due to the way the marks are worked out, there is the potential to get enough marks for a B. Was also told it's highly unlikley though it does happen.

4. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Hmm. So do they turn the marks for each unit into a UMS score and then add those together to get the overall total? That would make it hard to get a B on F tier, as after converting the raw marks a pupil who had actually scored at the top of the B bracket in a C.A. unit would have no advantage over a pupil who scored at the bottom of that bracket. Or do they add all the raw marks together for the different units and only then apply the UMS thingy to that total (which, relatively, would make it easier than with the first scenario to get a B on F tier)? [​IMG]

5. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Thanks. Would be interested to know how the final score is calculated. If a centre enters the exam before they submit the CA units would a grade be given for the exam or just a 'score'?

6. anteater

anteater New commenter

I realise you are mainly interested in the maths, but I'm wondering why a school might enter a student who is capable of A grade coursework/CAs for the Foundation tier in the first place...

7. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

A pupil with low B coursework who has been in a class that has spent a long time getting through the CAs (60%) at the expense of say, non-fiction analysis practice, or a pupil who has a weakness in that area might be better taking the F tier with a chance of a B rather than risking a D on the higher tier.I guess. Or a centre planning on early entry has all sorts of eventualities and variables to consider.

8. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Individual units will be reported in terms of marks, which centres can convert to grades using the UMS tables. However, this will not guarantee that the final grade will be the same as this is calculated across all the components. A grade will only be reported by AQA when certification takes place ie, when all the unit marks are submitted.
    If I had a bright student (often male) who produced fairly poor CA but who I suspected might rise to the occasion in the exam, I might enter him/her for F tier exam. It's a gamble but borderline students quite often benefit from the simpler questions and scaffolding in the foundation paper.