1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New and somewhat neglected garden...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Anonymous, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The tomato blight thread has prompted me to ask:
    It's going to take a while to knock the gardens into shape but, despite being a keen (and fairly successful) gardener, I can't decide what to put in the centre of the front garden. It's not a terribly big garden but sunny for most of the day, there's a centre circle already cut out (and now cleared of weeds etc) so it needs something in it.
    I've never had a fruit tree before there's an apple tree in the back garden (don't know yet if it's eating apples or cooking apples) and I'm thinking plum tree for the front garden (unlike Jennymus we like them).
    Whatever I put there I don't want it to be huge or to provide too much shade.
    Once we've dug out all the chippings and the black weed suppressing stuff there'll be flower beds around the lawn so I want something that is pretty but not too dominant.
    I've considered Japanese maple or one of the smaller magnolias.
    What would you choose and why?

2. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Amelanchier "obelisk". As the name implies it's a columnar shape, doesn't grow large. Beautiful white flowers in spring, berries in June and glorious autumn colour. Not fussy about soil.

3. Winter flowering cherry, would cheer you up no end in winter. Prunus Autumnalis. Fairly ordinary in the summer but the flowers in the rest of the garden would be busy then and so long as it isn't too cold it wil flower away most of the winter oooh just thought what about Viburnum Bodantense, that smells lovely as well.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Fruit trees don't make terribly good specimen trees, we have a victoria plum and three apple trees in the back garden, while they all earn their keep none are especially pretty for a focal point.
    I don't know how large the area is or how much space you have, but Robinia Pseudoacacia is a lovely tree if you have room, though it doesn't cope with exposed situations. A crab apple could be good, you have spring blossom, colourful fruit and often good autumnal leaf colour too. Picea pungens, <font face="Arial" size="2">"Kosteri" or "Hoopsii" have lovely glaucous blue/green needles, it will grow fairly large eventually but will take a long time to get there and you can put lights on it at Christmas! Three close planted Himalayan Birches (to get 3 times the trunks but same foliage), Jumiper skyrocket, Italian cypress (but may be a bit cold for it) or hawthorn "Paul's scarlet" are other suggestions.</font>

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

If not a beautiful acer, I would go for Abies Koreana. (Korean fir) I had one at my old house and just wish I had brought it with us when we moved. Its slow growing altough can reach high heights if left unpruned, but has the most striking blue cones on it. Happy in most soils except soggy and most weather conditions except long periods of very hot! Doesnt need any work as it only grows a few inches a year. Maintains its pyramidal shape pretty well.

6. I'd go for a Mountain Ash if it were me Seren. That's the common name...I think they are part of the sorbus family.
    I love 'em. They have delicate leaves, white flowers and then red berries, seem very hardy and always look attractive. I don't think they are too fussy about soil conditions either!
    I had one in my last garden many years ago and as it grew I kept the lower branches trimmed back to stop it spreading too much. It tended to be a slimmish more upright tree anyway. Years and years later it was still manageable and a joy to behold. (I love trees...)

7. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

I think the common name for mountain ash is rowan. We have one - or at least the benefit of it - because it drapes over an adjoining wall from a neighbour's garden. It is framed so beautifully in one kitchen window especially in berry time.

8. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

This is indeed a beautiful tree. Unfortunately they are being ravaged by a nasty disease at the moment that is wiping them out. Mine slowly died back over the past couple of years and this year was stone dead and hollow in the middle. Tree surgeon who felled it for me said it was a victim. [​IMG]

9. Both mountain ash and rowan are common names for Sorbus aucuparia - it is a lovely small tree and wouldn't become overwhelming in a small -ish garden. Wonderful for birds in autumn.
    Amelanchier is definitely worth thinking about but my favourite would be the purple leaved birch Betula 'Purpurea'. I covet one and the garden to grow it in!

10. I had a mountain ash in my front garden. The tree got very tall although it was about 20 years old and the berries looked pretty in the last few years but made a mess on the path as the bidrs never ate them? I got bored with it!
    I suggest a buddleia alternifolia. It's small and the scent is lovely, attractive to butterflies.....slow growing (well my plant is !)

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I like mountain ash but my new neighbour has one so I'd like something different. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of any sort of fir tree and would never willingly have one in my garden - two huge ones in the back garden but the lower branches were all cut off at the weekend and the one that's interfering with the telephone cables will be topped out.
    I wish I'd taken photos of the front garden now that I can post them so easily! I only took photos of the back!