1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New and fractious department-how to change?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Ehem, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I've just moved schools from a relatively squabble free department. My new department has a very supportive and forward-thinking Head of Department but it's her first year here too and she's inherited a department from a HofD with 20+ years in the role.
    The assistant HofD and a couple others seem to be preserving the memory of the last HofD including mixed sets (which is up for debate), a prehistoric SOW structure and revision lessons for C/D borderline students which remove students from PE lessons. I know change takes time but decisions about the running of the department have been taken behind the HofD's back when certain members realised she wasn't on the same page.
    I've also had a run in with one member of the department who shouted at me in front of students for 'getting the system wrong'. I'd like to know how to support my HofD in the face of these difficult and 'reluctant-to-change' people. Thanks.

2. I've just moved schools from a relatively squabble free department. My new department has a very supportive and forward-thinking Head of Department but it's her first year here too and she's inherited a department from a HofD with 20+ years in the role.
    The assistant HofD and a couple others seem to be preserving the memory of the last HofD including mixed sets (which is up for debate), a prehistoric SOW structure and revision lessons for C/D borderline students which remove students from PE lessons. I know change takes time but decisions about the running of the department have been taken behind the HofD's back when certain members realised she wasn't on the same page.
    I've also had a run in with one member of the department who shouted at me in front of students for 'getting the system wrong'. I'd like to know how to support my HofD in the face of these difficult and 'reluctant-to-change' people. Thanks.

3. Looks like your new HoD needs to put down some lines on the ground. I'd speak to HoD re. being yelled - esp. in front of students - if Hod has any balls then they will bring in the shouter and explain calmy and clearly that any repetition will result in a warning. And that things will be changing.
    And she should also ask in a dept meeting that if anyone has issues with changes that they address these to HoD.
    It's up to her, rather than you, but I'm sure she'll appreciate your moral support.