1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Alternative to A Level ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by paullong, Dec 1, 2015.

?

Would you consider teaching an applied general in ICT?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. Yes depending on content

22.2%
  3. No

55.6%
  1. paullong

paullong New commenter

AQA are now developing a new Applied General in ICT. This will be available for teaching from September 2017 just in time for when the A Level is no longer available. It will be designed to attract UCAS and performance points so will be a potential replacement for A Level ICT.

For those who don't know, A Levels are the academic qualifications at level 3, Technicals are the vocational qualifications at level 3 and applied generals keep options open at level 3.

What topic areas would you like to see covered and not covered in this new course?

If you want to be kept up-to-date with progress on the developments then contact bfishpool@aqa.org.uk

Paul Long
    Education Consultant

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Oh dear, it didn't take long for the "I can't believe it's not ICT" qualifications to emerge did it.

3. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

What does keep your options open mean? If I was looking for a Level 3 qual, I would not want the pupils completing 500 pages of print screens on constructing a database.

4. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Good grief, Charlie Brown. There are very very VERY good reasons why A Level ICT is being flushed down the toilet to join the other **** qualifications. For AQA to try and replace them with something that will undoubtedly vary little from the dross that came before (except in name), and then try to attract UCAS brownie points is frankly a joke. It will be another one of those courses where you have 40 units to choose from, everything from 'sending an email successfully' to 'jobs in The ICT department', and designed for the school muppets to scrape the points they need to get into a fourth rate Uni. It will have the same impact as the A Level ICT, in that it will drag the reputation of the subject down to the same level as a shoe with pooh on. I have no doubt it will be a great success and raise a lot of money for AQA. As for developing skills or educating students - naaaa.

5. paullong

paullong New commenter

It really saddens me that these forums are dominated by the same old trolls who have nothing better to do than moan all the time so it's not even worth replying to their spiteful comments that are without foundation.

@shellscript the "keep options open" means that students can still take an academic route but will have also studied the subject in a manner that means it will be of valuable practical use in the work place.

I wholeheartedly agree with the print screen nonsense and as one of the developers I'll be wanting to ensure that this does not become part of the requirement for evidence.

6. NeitherMouseNorSock

NeitherMouseNorSock New commenter

It saddens me that as one of the developers, you are waiting for suggestions from us. Instead of dismissing negativity as people being trolls, why not try giving people a reason to be positive?
    • How will your course (AQA's) be different to the current content?
    • How can we sell it to management?
    • Why will students choose/respect it?

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

8. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

Mmmmm. For a waste-of-time forum, you keep popping up with your 2p on a regular basis. I do agree though. The Facebook sites are slightly better if you need to mingle with other ICT apologists.

9. madcat

O.K. now I'm confused - too many questions but
    Are the AQA Applied General (caps) qualifications intended to be part of the applied general (no caps) qualifications indicated in this DoE document ?

or are/will they be something different ?

10. djphillips1408

Yes I do drop in most days, but mainly nowadays to encourage people to move to a more productive platform where they don't have to deal with people such as yourself.

11. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

Meow!

But at least I work in a proper school, and teach Computer Science, rather than a grammar school, and subject very bright students to third rate dumbed down ICT courses, almost certainly because you can't cope with Computer Science.

12. djphillips1408

And yet my apps to teach Computer Science are the most downloaded on the planet on both iOS and Android, just been commissioned by an exam board to develop their CS resources too. Just because I don't like the subject much does not mean I can't do it. I am done with replying to your posts, you are a clown.

BrianUK likes this.
  13. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Wait, the most popular app in the world is your app about computer science?

14. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Careful - you don't want to have a Ratner moment!

I haven't seen your materials or apps, so can't comment on them, but I think that most of us, in principle, would rather have something explained by an enthusiastic expert rather than someone who's doing it grudgingly.

15. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Getting back to the original question, I think that the term "applied" from the credibility of a qualification (unless it's Maths), so it's a No from me.

A level ICT didn't really offend me - it was the GCSE that had gone massively down hill in recent years. I always thought that it was more difficult to teach than A level because of its vague nature, but recently I've found that the standard has only been on a par with KS3 ICT from ten years ago.

16. djphillips1408

Yep, put the word Scratch into a tablet/phone.... Oh of course you will now say well scratch is not CS. But hey ho I will take the download numbers over anyone on here's condescending tone. Why not check out the app store charts on iOS at the moment whilst you are at it, or may be this screendump of results from AppAnnie works for you.

1.5 million apps out there apparently, and the python one will be developed over Christmas upload_2015-12-3_13-40-20.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  17. djphillips1408

Yeah but here's the thing I guess that exam board want to employ the "grudging" person over the enthusiastic expert, oh well guess I fake it well....

18. djphillips1408

Anyway you will be pleased to know I am done with here. There is nothing constructive on this forum anymore, it's been an emotional 13 years but profitable because TES also paid me for my resources in a big way, guess they liked the grudging stuff I knocked out too. Toodles, off to the facebook groups now where I don't have to deal with clowns hiding behind anonymous nom de plumes

19. JaquesJaquesLiverot

The Community guidelines tell you not to use your real name!

20. madcat

Unfortunately DJ has stalked off before I could tell him that there are many, like myself, who have various nom des chausettes* on FaceAche and the like.

*The cod French is a deliberate clue - you'd be amazed how a parochial FB is under the hood.

BTW JJL you mean that is not your real name ! OMGA !! The scandal !!!

...have to stop now as I have used up my exclamation mark ration for this month