1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New ACME Report

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Jun 14, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Following the early entry report, the bbc website are now saying that "Universities are dumbing down on maths to fill places".
    The report says 180,000 will need signficant maths in their degree and also another 150,000 social scientists, however only 125,000 study maths to A-level.
    I'm not sure what point they are trying to make. I thought we were one of the largest A-level subjects. Do they really want andother 200,000 to take up the subject? Are there indeed enough A-level candidates.
    When do we ever hear anything positive said about maths in the news. It's all bad new after bad news. Why don't the ACME and other bodies get some good news ot there for once and write a report whihc says something positive instead of something negative. Until this happens, maths is going to suffer.
    It does make me mad

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I agree more maths bashing. I am suprises they didnt say teachers are to blame for not motivating enough students to do it.
    I very much doubt there are enough A Level maths teachers out there to meet this demand - if indeed it really exists - and there certainly arent enough students capable of doing it.

3. DM

DM New commenter

It is (unannounced) Government policy that 80% of students should continue to study mathematics post 16. For some, this will be a compulsory GCSE resit (this was published in the Government response to Woolf). For some, it will be FSMQs or new Use of Maths/Use of Stats qualifications. For a lot, it will be AS (and possibly A2) mathematics. It is being seriously mooted that AS maths should be the minimum qualification for Primary School teaching.
    ACME know this is imminent and are planning to minimise the downside and maximise the upside of the implementation. If you don't like their apparent agenda and direction, why don't you get involved? They often call for new Outer Circle members or you could volunteer to take on committee work for your own subject association.

4. pencho

pencho New commenter

Don't worry DM. I have applied

5. Seems an old story to me.
    In the early 80s I enroled at one of our stella universities to read for a Life Sciences degree. But although they liked undergrads to have done A-level maths even they couldn't insist on it, (not for Life Sciences anyway, different story Physics etc.). So they had a compulsory first year maths module to bridge the gap. It used to scare the brown stuff out of the botonists.

6. Couldn't agree more Pencho.

Ah, ACME, the great and the good...

Along with Roger Porkess and his merry little band on the Vorderman squat team.

Maths as a subject in school has actually held up pretty well in comparison with other subjects and in particular the appalling level to which science has fallen with it's pub quiz knowledge style exams.