1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new academy status contract to sign.....

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jimmysmith, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hi all
    We turned into an academy in September and now the head has asked us to sign new contracts. I have read that if existing teachers sign new contracts after changing to academy status we are bound by the new terms and conditions and not the old ones, regardless of what they would be, just as a new teacher would be bound. Frankly I don't want to work on Saturdays and I don't want my pay scale changed. Our new contracts talk about what our current role is, but they say nothing about work limitations. Do I need to put in the contract "I am not working weekends" (or similar) etc?
    Thanks

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

contact your union rep asap.
    Usual procedure is you are covered under your old contract by TUPE, and the head cannot change your jobs/contracts etc "just because we are now an academy" . There have to be what are known as ETO reasons (Economic, technical and organisational ), and be not simply related to be converting to an academy.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Ask for advice from your union.

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Do not sign anything.
    Believe me, the pressure from SLT to sign will increase.
    Stand firm.
    Refer all this to your union. Do keep a written note of all communications.

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Exactly. Do not sign. There may be a threat of redundancy if you do not sign but if EVERYONE refuses to sign then they are stuck .