1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Academy Application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by teacher4l1fe, Mar 24, 2016.

1. teacher4l1fe

teacher4l1fe New commenter

Hi all,

Just moved to an 'outstanding' school this year for experience in such a school after spending 4 years at my previous school but have come to the realisation that we aren't a good fit on the creativity in lesson aspect...

So I am now looking around and saw an exciting opportunity to teach in a completely new school build, an upper school (14-19) that focuses on 'hands on, creative learning'.

What are peoples thoughts on going to a brand new school and also the upper school set up? Would anyone be concerned or think it would not be a good idea?

All thoughts gratefully received!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Is the building alone new, or are the pupils and staff also new?

Best wishes

3. teacher4l1fe

Sorry I should have been more clear, it's a completely new school, new build, new staff, intake of students into year 10 and year 12 come this September

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So you would be in at the beginning and have a chance to see, and perhaps even influence, ,the way forward.

I have no personal experience of this, and you must make up your own mind, but I would quite fancy it myself!

Best wishes

.@

5. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Is it a free school by any chance?

6. teacher4l1fe

It's a school being set up by This is Global, the organisation that owns Capital FM, Kiss etc

http://www.globalacademy.com/

It would be straight from the outset yeah, any experience of upper schools? I have concerns regarding what kind of students would be switching schools half way through a normal secondary? Would I be wrong in assuming you wouldn't be receiving many high calibre students?

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Not at all. Upper schools are designed to attract a cross range but they do tend to give you maximum high stakes classes. Most areas with 14-18are moving to 11-18 so expect this to happen quite quickly. Having a timetable with all high stakes classes is stressful - just be aware. 11-18 lets you have some enjoyable KS3 classes.

teacher4l1fe likes this.
  8. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I've had this for several years now (just over half my timetable is A Level classes, with the rest being GCSE) in an 11–18 school and love it. Each to their own, I guess.

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Aren't all classes high stakes these days?

10. teacher4l1fe

Thanks for the replies, I've always taught KS4 and 5 so not worried about the high stakes classes, I just don't understand how upper school tempt high achievers to move after most have spent 3 years in a standard secondary. I may be wrongly assuming that most would be students other schools would be less than upset to lose if you know what I mean....