1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New academic year

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Richie Millions, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Anyone not looking forward to the new academic year with excitement and enthusiasm should leave the profession.

Please discuss x

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is it common in any profession for employees to look forward to going back to work with "excitement and enthusiasm" after a holiday period?

3. tidal

tidal New commenter

*looks at opening post*

*wonders if *** is still banned*

Pity
    It was a useful pseudo-acronym

4. Richie Millions

My feeling is that they should but in the teaching profession they often do not. My guess would be that we will fail to enthuse those in our care if we cannot enthuse ourselves.

5. Richie Millions

I don't understand Tidal's comment but over the years I rarely have x

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

I'm pretty sure you do Richie

it was after all a much used FLA

7. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I am not excited and enthusiastic but I am very good at acting.

8. While I agree with nomad that most people don't exactly relish the idea of going back to work after holidays, I do get the OP's point too. If you dread going back and feel terrified, as many on these boards say they do, then perhaps you are in the wrong job? My friends and family in non-teaching roles never DREAD work!! They never lie awake all night feeling terrified about going back.

Also, if you do dislike teaching and feel miserable when in school then you're probably not doing a good job of making the students feel happy there either.

I'm not looking forward to being constrained by bells and not being able to wear what I want and not being able to walk my own dog, but once I accept those I'm quite happy to picture myself back in the classroom again.

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm starting at a new school next month, so am nervous about first day/first week nerves, but I loved the school at interview and on induction day and will go in for a few hours the week before term starts as I want to look over my classroom, get books in order and 'know' where things are/get passwords, etc., so first day nerves are sorted,

My 'old' school (was there for a year fixed term) had some good points (lovely staff, colleagues) but many negatives (huge classes - 32 students in KS3, but smaller at KS4 and 5) and some behaviour issues. I am a little sorry not to be returning as my KS5 students did reasonably well in AS/A2 (a mix of As, Bs and Cs - one D) and one of my favourite students received an A in AS, but I know that within the first week, I would be unhappy.

So the stress now is acceptable (sorting out and refining GCSE materials and putting the final touches on KS5 workbooks (I teach Classics)) as the more I prepare now, the less worry on the first day; if I were returning to my old school, the stress would result in lack of sleep, huge anxiety and other issues.

Let's just say a few physical things I have noticed since I finished at my last school - my fingernails are a good length (no biting); I am motivated to lose weight (lost almost a stone since mid-July) and not eat chocolate, crisps, except as a treat; I am arguing less with my OH and am a great deal more relaxed. I didn't realise how stressed and unhappy I was.

rustybug - at my new school (rural setting), staff can bring their dogs to school and walk them at lunchtime!

best wishes

10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I am kind of looking forward to going back. This summer has been a bit weird because I'm suddenly single and have, for the first time as a teacher, the freedom to do what I want with my summer holiday! So it's been a mixture of relaxation and going off and doing things and I'm going to find it hard to give that up. Also, having been in this relationship since I started training, it'll be odd being a teacher without being with my partner.

But I'm sure once back at work, with the challenge of a new year group, I'll be feeling more positive about it. I do mostly enjoy what I do.

11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I wouldn't say I was looking forward to going back but I'll admit to a certain 'lightness' about it because I'm planning on retiring next summer, so this will be my last year. I hope that thought will keep me going through the slog of autumn and winter, with the prospect of ofsted hanging over us.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Wow, how fantastic is that?!

That's my kind of school.

[​IMG]

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Autumn and the return of school always has special meaning for me; it signifies the beginning of new learning and a new beginning to make life better. I work as a supply teacher so do not know when my first day will be or where it will be, but that doesn't matter. It is still thrilling to think of new beginnings.

14. I do look forward to the start of a new anything, as though the arbitrary movement of the calendar makes any difference. I like new term, Monday mornings, new jobs.... for a day or so until reality kicks back in.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The "new satchel" syndrome. For some teachers it's the joy of the unsullied stationery in the cupboard.Children? Well they don't pay you if you don't let them in but admit it - they use the crayola and lose the Berol tops - nightmare!

16. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

exactly

17. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Is it common in any profession for employees to look forward to going back to work with "excitement and enthusiasm" after a holiday period?

"exactly" what job?? after a wonderful hols usually it is "eew back to work"...

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

After surviving a very long first year at my new school I'm feeling quite chipper about the upcoming year. Just come back from a terrific holiday and now the preparations can begin amongst all the other things I have to do.

19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Where are these dogs when everyone's teaching?

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Enthusiasm and excitement? No... because I'm not a puppy.

I'm good at my job. For the most part I enjoy my job. Kids like my lessons. End of. It's just a job.