1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New A Levels and GCSEs in Media Studies and Film Studies

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by CandysDog, Sep 11, 2015.

1. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

What are people's thoughts on the detailed proposals for the new specifications in Media Studies and Film Studies at A Level, AS Level and GCSE, due to be taught from 2017?

For those that haven't seen the consultations, the links are:

My first impressions are fairly positive. The proposals aren't perfect, but they certainly could be worse.

I'll definitely be responding to the consultations.

2. CandysDog

3. emilylime

emilylime New commenter

My only concerns are that it says that ALL of the media forms listed need to be studied by GCSE students and possibly also that theories "including male gaze" and "must include Propp" are specified - it does seem a bit like these have been plucked from the air???
    The 70/30 split will be interesting - and also the "exam board set brief" for the INDIVIDUAL practical controlled assessment. I guess if there is still a choice of briefs this will be OK otherwise it is forced to become very prescriptive and maybe quite boring to teach.
    The word "politics" springing up in there is interesting too - how the media impacts on politics and vice versa - there is a full GCSE course there!

4. timrahman

timrahman New commenter

Don't agree with the 70/30 split at all and the exam course covers too much - it's typical of this idea that everything must be taught and sat in one now or never exam. Absolute rubbish.

Removed a lot of the freedom of the course, what makes the current AQA GCSE great is that students can develop so many skills and become really well rounded and effective practitioner - instead it will be just training people to pass an exam. The exam content looks far too broad as well, I would love to know who actually sits on these consultations as it can't be people with any subject knowledge - the whole thing seems agenda drive.
    Strongly against

5. CandysDog

Have a look at the MEA's response (link above). It gives lots of detail about the people involved and the battles between them.

6. CandysDog

Just a bump, as these consultations close on Thursday.