1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New A Level Drama and Theatre Texts

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by CreativeEducation, May 13, 2016.

1. CreativeEducation

CreativeEducation New commenter

What texts have you guys chosen to prepare for the written exam for the new 2016 AS and A Levels in Drama and Theatre? It's going to be my first time teaching A Level. I'm with AQA. Any recommendations?

2. Teacher0800

Teacher0800 New commenter

Hi, I'm looking to teach Antigone and Metamorphosis, however have A Servant to Two Masters as a back up in case Metamorphosis is too challenging for students to stage. i know others have had different ideas that i have spoken to. I know a few other Drama teachers are liking Antigone, with some pairing it with Our Country's Good, others choosing Yerma and the Caucasian Chalk Circle. I have found that it is beneficial to study two contrasting style of play, e.g. Yerma is naturalistic and Caucasian Chalk Circle is very non-naturalistic and Brechtian in style. It might be a good idea to do something like that to broaden students knowledge.

3. CreativeEducation

CreativeEducation New commenter

Thank you very much. I think I'm going to do 'A Servant to Two Masters' and Lorca's 'Yerma'. Do you think thats contrasting enough? Commedia and Spanish Naturalism.

4. Teacher0800

Teacher0800 New commenter

I would think that is a great contrast, with the exploration of the traditional Commedia roots and the exploration of naturalism, which you could also use to explore Stanislavsky's methods. i think that would be a great combination to teach, providing interesting topics for the students. I think Yerma is a great play, having performed it for my AS-Level Drama and Theatre Performance i really enjoyed the characters and the amount of depth you can look into each character.