1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New 9 to 1 GCSE - Two-year or Three-year? (vote here)

Discussion in 'Science' started by briggs1209, Dec 26, 2015.

1. briggs1209

briggs1209 New commenter

Currently we deliver KS4 is two years. Having now read the new 9 to 1 specifications I can't see how I'll get it done in just two years.

Is there anyone looking to still deliver in two years or are most schools now on three-year courses? It would be great if everyone could reply here so that we could all get a feel for what other schools are doing.

thanks

2. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

We delivered in 3 years before and are continuing to on the new spec (we have just started the new aqa spec in September). The amount of content has definitely increased, so we have increased our hours of contact time with ks4.

3. michelleocrscience

michelleocrscience New commenter

depends on how many teaching hours you are given. Qualifications are 120-140 guided learning hours, so for a 2 year course you would need 5hrs a fortnight per qualification. Obviously over 3 years this is less a week.

4. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

3yrs, 4 hours per week.

5. sgcross384

sgcross384 New commenter

Start at Easter, so 2.5 years. 4.5hours per week.

6. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

We started teaching it to year 9 in Sept. So we have opted for 3 years. Have struggled a little this year as the resources weren't really accredited in time for our 3 year Year 9.

7. Orion

Orion New commenter

3 years all the way!

8. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Now starting Y9 Christmas at 3.5 in Y9 and 4 in Y10/11...can't see any way you'd do a good job in Y10/11 only without that Y9 time and I'd start sooner but for fear it's just too early...the first term is all transition stuff so arguably GCSE too!

9. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

We are actually starting in summer term year 8. The content is massive and it is essential to build in mastery time. We do a term of 6 a fortnight in year 8, then six a fortnight in year nine then ten a fortnight in year 11. we also do the triple in this time for some kids.

10. isitjustme

isitjustme New commenter

No wonder I'm scared. I've got to try and deliver the ridiculous content in biology in 2 years with only 3 hours a fortnight! It takes the fun out of teaching that's for sure!
    I'm gonna show my HOD this thread tomorrow as it will prompt action I'm sure.