1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New £28m Dumfries school shut on safety grounds

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Sep 7, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-45445545

A new £28m school campus in Dumfries has been closed on safety grounds after a second incident within two weeks.

The EIS teaching union said an interactive whiteboard had fallen on a pupil in a class.

Contractors Graham said it had immediately investigated and concluded "excessive force" had been used on the sliding smart screen.

The same campus was closed last month after a pupil was struck by a sliding door which came off its rails.

Dumfries and Galloway Council said it had "lost confidence" in assurances it had been given over the North West Community Campus in Dumfries.

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

And who is paying for all this? US!

3. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Our school has recently been built. I watched as a friend of mine, an old joiner, was told to use glue tabs to secure the paper towel dispensers. He smiled and nodded, playing up to the old and a bit simple that the foreman thought he was. When the foreman left he got out his screwdriver, and screws and fixed them properly. They were the only ones in the school that did not fall down.

catbefriender likes this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Quite likely - bet they can’t prove it wasn’t one of their fitters though!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Since going on supply I have worked in one or three new builds. Pretty shoddy all round. Doors falling off, door handles missing and in one building, in the first term of opening 2 ceilings fell down, lucky when no-one was under them. Add onto that taps that don't work, holes in walls and leaks in the roof.

6. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

A large new classroom block was built 3 years ago at the place I work. Within weeks doors were falling off, heating failed (great in January) shelves were coming off the wall. The contractors have never satistfactorily fixed the problems.

7. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I had forgotten about my own shelves falling down. (My friend did not put them up).

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter