1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New 0.2 contract advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by elegia, Feb 15, 2016.

1. elegia

elegia New commenter

I was offered a temp 0.2 teaching post to start after half term - whoop! Then I received the contract which is quite different to my expectations.This is for a Federation primary school, not an Academy.

1. Paid term time-only (I'm sure this wasn't specified in the ad as I wouldn't have applied, plus I have NEVER heard of a term time-only teaching job!)
    2. Until 15th July 16 (The advert said 31st August 16).
    3. 6.5hrs a week (so effectively no paid PPA or leave)
    4. This contract in no way covers me for the planning and prep time and report-writing of the subjects that only I will be teaching...

Am I being precious or does this contract ring alarm bells?!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Do you still have a copy of the original advert for the post?

3. elegia

elegia New commenter

Sadly, no. I can't find a cached version either. Faux pas on my part.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Are you positive you didn't print it out to look at whilst you were completing your application form?

I don't know what difference it makes that it is a 'Federation' school. PPA is statutory for those following the Standard Pay and Conditions. You need to check if they are paying you an enhanced 0.2 of the salary to account for not having holiday pay (bit like supply).

EDIT: You could try posting in the Pay and Conditions forum too for more advice. Others may be along later here on this forum who may be able to give you guidance.

elegia likes this.
  5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Dear Elegia, pull this post NOW. A simple Google search of the wording of the document, together with your somewhat incomplete crossing out of the Head's name has allowed me to identify your school in less than a minute!

For your own good!

TG's note: I have deleted the post with the document in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Absolutely! @TheoGriff , another self-identifying post needs deleting please.

TG's note: Done

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have deleted the post with the advertisement in it, so elegia is no longer identifiable by this.

Write back to them.

Dear X

Thank you for forwarding me a contract for a post of part-time teacher in X School.

However,there seems to have been an error or misunderstanding in the school office, as this contract does not relate to the post which was advertised, for which I applied, which was offered to me, and which I accepted.

Could you therefore please forward the correct contract, with the following amendments:

0.2 contract, the 0.2 to include the 10% PPA
    Beginning on (date) and ending 31 August
    Paid as 0.2 every month, including months in which there are non term-time weeks.

These points above correspond to the advertisement.

Yours sincerely

You may find that they then withdraw the offer, I suppose. But personally I wouldn't touch what they are offering with a bargepole.

Best wishes

notsonorthernlass, Am_done and marlin like this.
  8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@TheoGriff has answered your query perfectly. Another classic letter Theo! :)

Keep that copy of the advert @elegia !

wanet likes this.
  9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

marlin likes this.
  10. ricjamclick

ricjamclick New commenter

Or you could just say 'no' as they've sneakily tried to secure and then belittle you and decide you don't want to work for them.

11. elegia

elegia New commenter

*embarrassed face*

Thanks for looking out for me, and thank you for your considered responses.

marlin and RedQuilt like this.
  12. elegia

elegia New commenter

Please delete the thread if you wish.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No need now that identifying advert has gone!

Best of luck.