1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Never mind clapping and badges...payrise

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Apr 16, 2020.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I find the virtue signalling of this clapping rather insincere.

I think Health service workers should get a payrise.

Mr Raab can stuff his badges.

[​IMG]

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I agree re the pay rise. MrREMfan has received 10% pay rise (though his evening hours have been cut as the store is closing at 9pm rather than 11. Not that I really am complaining re that as by 10pm - when he lands, I have had enough of my own company!)

3. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

My son who had to study for 4 years then spend a year on pre-registration take another set of exams then finally become fully qualified is part of the NHS.
    He spent some time last year with his friend who was studying engineering which I know is very specialized. He said his friend and another person on the same course were talking about starting salaries.

He said he would have to work in the NHS for a minimum of 10 years before he would get anywhere near that type of salary. Then he also said well it was my choice what career I decided upon.

So at the moment 11-hour shifts and on-call this evening. He said you don't really sleep when you are on call, plus you are at work the next day.
    With the new shifts, they owe the hospital trust 0.8 of an hour a week so guess what they suggest?
    Take it off holiday allowance or
    Do overtime
    He said it's great to be appreciated!
    OH he might get a badge to wear!!!!!!!!!

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

They should get a big pay rise.

Laphroig and monicabilongame like this.
  5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

"... now is not the moment to enter into a pay negotiation. Now is the moment for everybody to be doing their very best."

Matt Handcock

[​IMG]

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I can tell you all from experience, that the time to enter into pay negotiations is when the Minister for Health needs hospitalisation.

In 1972, a pay settlement was agreed by the government for people working in a technical capacity in medical physics that would bring them into line with the pay scales for other workers in the public sector with similar skills. It never materialised. After two years it still hadn't happened, so those who were losing out as the inflation caused by the oil crisis was hurting, went on strike. They weren't asking for anything to compensate for inflation, just what had been agreed before the oil crisis.

The strike lasted two weeks, during which time the government dug its heels in and maintained that now wasn't the time for NHS workers to be demanding pay rises, they'd been promised two years earlier be paid, however they suddenly changed their tune when the Labour Minister for Health was admitted into the private wing of the hospital I worked in. Before the story made the news that the Labour Minister of Health was being treated privately, Clive Jenkins, the leader of the ASTMS union notified the striking members they could return to work the next day, as the government had agreed the pay rise agreed two years earlier would be in their banks along with all the back pay they were owed that month.

The newspapers had been scathing about NHS workers "holding the country to ransom", without telling the full story and oddly, didn't seem bothered asking why the strike ended so suddenly. It was only of interest to them for the opportunity it gave for union bashing.

afterdark likes this.
  7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think that this virus has brought home to all of us how much we depend on the care sector and it has been undervalued for years.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

9. install

install Star commenter

Agree. I would go further. I’d pay less to those at the top in other sectors less. Let’s face it this has made society realise that we are all in this together - and those lower down who save lives everyday at risk to their own lives need to be respected.

10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes, I remember that. I was working as a medical physics technician at the time and we got something like a 30% pay rise.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Barbara Castle, really? And she tried to abolish private provision in the nhs.

12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

So they missed an even bigger chance when Boris was hospitalised. Maybe they should have refused to treat him until they got a pay rise.

13. LondonCanary

Do you really think medical staff would allow a patient to die in front of them unless they received a pay-rise?

Kandahar likes this.
  14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I don't find the clapping insincere. I think it is one way we can show our appreciation. We can't give them a pay rise. It's not within our scope to do that. We can clap and we can make our voices heard but it's the government who have the authority to give a pay rise.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  15. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Comment from an NHS worker.

It is ridiculous that the NHS has to rely on charitable donations. It is not a charity but a nationalised method for healthcare. It needs to be fully funded and charity money should go to the charity sector.

You should not have to fundraise for something that we pay taxes for.

I just agreed.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Where's the money coming from for a pay rise?

17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Breaking News!

Holly Willoughby breaks a wooden spoon in her enthusiasm to support our frontline key workers.

In further news David Beckham gets his hair cut.

18. LondonCanary

I saw that Tom Moore raised money for nhs charities rather than the nhs.

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

When the clapping was first announced a week or so back on these forums you had to like it basically, or else you were cold hearted and lacking in appreciation. I'd rather give them a pay rise, I said. Be quiet and show your street how much you care I was told.
    Anyway, today I've been looking at this thread with interest-WARNING contains opinion by actual NHS staff about clapping!!! -and if you really do care for an in depth assessment of what the clapping can change, click just above the image to expand the thread, then scroll down and read the replies
    https://twitter.com/d_rafi1/status/1250864574984867856

Other threads on clapping are available. But this one is particularly stark.
    Please feel free to signal that the clapping you do is actually good socially distanced clapping.

monicabilongame likes this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'd guess you were on a junior grade at the time, then @Shedman. They did the best in relative terms, because as part of the deal, the lowest grade was abolished and those on them were automatically promoted to the next grade up.

I remember at the time, thinking all my birthdays had come at once. To get things into context, I took a job in a radio and TV shop when I was fourteen, working an hour a day after school and all day Saturday, which brought me in two quid a week, but during the school holidays, they let me work every day of the week at two quid a day, so I went up to twelve quid a week.

When I joined the NHS, they started me on ten quid a week, but since Saturdays were free I could earn another two quid in the shop, which by then had ditched the radio and TV stuff and moved into flogging electronic components, so I wasn't financially worse off.

When the pay rise and back pay came through, it seemed like I'd won the lottery, but that wasn't the least of it. For all the b.ollox spouted by the media, the union was adamant that only non-essential goods would be barred from crossing the picket line, so patients would never suffer. The sort of goods that got turned away were comfy chairs for the hospital management and anything else that was BS, but the subsidised staff canteen had to close, which affected the staff, including those on the picket line. You wouldn't believe how much anger that caused other Tory-supporting hospital workers to vent when they had to pay top doller for their lunches.

But what a fantastic opportunity it was to get a date with a nurse whose salary didn't extend beyond being fed in the subsidised canteen, when you said, don't worry about it girl, let me know what time your shift ends and I'll make sure you get fed.

Among the absurdities of the situation was that union strike pay was standard across the board. All union members who went on strike got the same amount, so those of us on the bottom of the pay scales, ended up getting more than we usually got. I could afford to take a bird out to dinner every day of the week and learned back then how easy it is to turn and angry face into a smiling one if you have an honest gift of the gab and a sense of compassion.

That time gave me an invaluable education about the absurdity of politics and how the government woks, because not only was I getting strike pay at a higher rate than I'd usually earn, the government never stopped my usual income, nor had the wit to ask for its return as an oversight.

I remember buying myself a corduroy duffle coat with a faux fur lining in Austin Reed, in Fenchchurch Street back then. Austin Reed at the time, was a shop back then, that the riff-raff would be turned away from if they asked the price of their goods, but I wasn't bothered about that. With a stylish coat on my back that few could dream of owning, you'd be surprised how many doors would be opened for me.

I never knew it would do that that back then, when I had the money in by pocket to buy a coat I fancied wearing for no other reason than I liked it but I do now. So many lessons about the reality of the world in such a short space of time.

Back in my day, it was difficult to get a university place, but an education in real life was available to all and those up to learning it without the drain of needing to repay tuition fees hanging over their lives, I've found, mostly fared better than youngsters of today.

If you want my honest opinion of a positive that Covid-19 might bring, it wil be the demise of universities and the BS behind qualifications that exclude the best able to survive when the chips are down.

If things get tough, goodness how pompous music teachers who ironically set themselves up for parts in a Gilbert and Sulivan opperatta will fare better than those who understand how the world actually works and how to survive when times get tough.

Shedman likes this.