1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Never let me go

Discussion in 'Book club' started by ladymarm, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Hello,
    Thought I'd read this in anticipation of the film. i loved The remains of the day. I am struggling with this! Anyone read it, enjoyed it, hated it?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It wasn't at all what I expected and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I read it on my Kindle but looked at a copy of the book and thought the cover illustrations and blurb on the back a bit misleading. I think some people might buy it thinking it's a romantic chick lit type of thing which it isn't.
    I will probably go and see the film although I thought the end was a bit unsatisfactory, maybe I just wanted a happier ending.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It wasn't at all what I expected and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I read it on my Kindle but looked at a copy of the book and thought the cover illustrations and blurb on the back a bit misleading. I think some people might buy it thinking it's a romantic chick lit type of thing which it isn't.
    I will probably go and see the film although I thought the end was a bit unsatisfactory, maybe I just wanted a happier ending.

4. I figured it out quite early what "donations" were, but I was intrigued by the role of art in the plot.

5. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Really didn't like this book, despite loving Remains of the Day and When We Were Orphans. I found it disturbing and badly written, although I know it was meant to reflect the voice of the main character, I just found it irritating. Definitely not worth reading in my opinion.

6. I read it over the Easter hols as I wanted to read it before watching the film and I found the style a bit awkward too. I know it was supposed to be the narrator speaking but it got on my nerves a lot. Other than that, I thought the story really drew you in but I left it feeling a little disappointed. Can anyone recommend other novels by him that might change my mind?!

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I thought Remains of the Day was quite tedious and slightly depressing but other people seem to like it.

8. I read it and enjoyed it but my complaint, perversely, is that the "twist" as it were were simply too obvious. I think the intrigue could have been built a little more...perhaps allowing the mystery to grow as well. It was a good effort though.