1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

never heard of the TA levels -I feel ignorant!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jostled, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Hello fellow TAs,

I've been working as a TA in a UK school for 2 academic years now. I often read references on this board to different levels of TAs, yet I am not aware of anyone at school being on a certain level OR any criteria for who's chosen to cover classes etc. (And out of 10 TAs, only 2 have been studied for any kind of TA qualification that I am aware of.) Does this use of levels depend on the area you live in? If I move to another county with plenty of experience but no qualification/level (besides a good but non-related degree), might I have a problem finding an equivalent job just for this reason?

I'd appreciate any clarification with this :)

2. The level should be on your contract unless everyone in your LEA is paid the same rate. It could exlude you from some jobs as they could ask for relevant qualifications that you don't have.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

You are known as a level 1 ta if you have no qualifications. You can go to college and get a 2 and 3 ta qualification if you wish.

4. Post 3. Not necessarily. My LEA does not reward us when we get qualifications. We have many level 1 TAs who have vast experience and some with TA specific qualifications. None of us in our workplace are classed as unqualified TAs. In fact I would question if there is such a thing as an unqualified TA, as opposed to an inexperienced TA.

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

We dont get rewarded either. If you have a level 2 qualification, you apply for a level 2 job, and so on.

6. Nor do we - I have NVQ 3 and E111 (level 4 OU) and am still level 1.

7. "You are known as a level 1 ta if you have no qualifications. You can go to college and get a 2 and 3 ta qualification if you wish".

In our dreams!! TA qual level 3, 5 years experience, planning and delivering work for statemented pupils, SEN TA yet paid at grade 1!

What's the use of having a TA remodelling document, if LAs ignore it?

8. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

What I said was that if you apply for a level 2 job you have to have the level 2 qualification. If the job is advertised as level 1 and you are qualified at level 2 you will still be paid as level one because thats what the job is advertised at. Wheres the confusion?

9. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

To op. If you move and you have experience, some schools may take that into consideration. However our school is hot on qualifications, so if they advertise for a teaching assistant and one comes along with experience and another comes alog with a qualification, the one with the qualification would get the job. So its up to you really. I would suggest getting a qualification under your belt though.

10. OP don't worry about the levels, my LEA don't use them either! All our TA's are on the same pay scale.

11. Thanks for all the comments.

12. Well I am a little confused at my school all TAs are paid at level 3. Some have no TA qualifications but lots of experience and others have NVQ2.
    As I recall some years ago during single status all of the TAs were judged to be working at level 3. Not sure exactly what difference there is between different levels in different areas. Does a level 3 earn exactly the same throughout the country?
    I had a discussion with the Head a couple of months ago and she definitely said all TAs were on a level 3 and I assume it is the same level that everyone else here is talking about.

13. I have no TA qualification and I'm a level 3. You don't need the equivalent NVQ level in order to be a higher level.

14. The advice from our LA is that in order to get a new TA job you need the relevant quals, but Heads obviously won't be downgrading existing staff if they have experience, skills etc but no TA quals.
    Don't forget its the job that attracts the pay grade, not the person. (sorry if I'm repeating what someone said before) If a teacher is appointed for a TA3 job, they'll get TA3 pay.