1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Never have I ever....

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by SineField, Jan 8, 2020.

1. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

(I'll start us off!)

Heard someone say, 'I really regret giving up teaching.'

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

No. I have heard many say, "I wish I had not started teaching."

3. ms honey

ms honey New commenter

We make sure a fully qualified teacher is always in every class

4. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

My SLT are really supportive regarding work-life balance.

5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

‘I really love waiting for the early morning call for a day’s Supply work’

6. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

'I miss being a teacher'.

However, I hear others (and myself) saying something along the lines of 'those are some years I'll never EVER get back'.

Jolly_Roger15 and BetterNow like this.
  7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Heard anyone say “ We”ll pay you above above scale”

Haven’t heard “Of course well pay you in line with scale”for many a long year...

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Never have I ever finished a day's work in any school in any capacity whatsoever and said "hurrah! Now for the gym!"

9. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

wow, youre the most professional and fair senior leadership team ive ever come across, and ive worked in a lot of schools, all of them led by very fair and professional senior leadership.

Ha ha, im laughing to myself. this time last year i was in a right down and confused state of mind having been let down at the last minute by a school that had spent weeks before christmas telling me they wanted me after christmas. imagine that! and the similar thing happened september, was promised 4 weeks and released after 2. utter shoot bags! i see it now as my saving! the christmas holidays spent nice and relaxed knowing i didnt have to go to work and as well as that, no money wounds to lick. no sitting there going oh no ive spent so much money and its ages till pay day... i dint have it to spend so its been fantastic!

its a wonderful feeling. when i left supply 2 and a half years back i thought i wasnt going back, after having had some geezer tell petty lies about me (geezer writes for the tes, utter slime ball, is up to something, but i couldnt say what, just that my intuition tells me the geezer is a sinister slime ball...folks who run telling tales only do so to get in their first and build up the barrier of defence for themselves . snakey types) yeah, thought i wouldnt go back. then i needed money and well, everything seemed a bit worse. its writtten on my face i think now, my utter contempt for the way these places operate . its just written on my face,

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

We know it's a "Training day" (Baker Day) please feel free to get on with any work you need to do as we won't be holding any meetings (with card sorts). If it helps you can also work from home today and this is how we will arrange BaKer Days in future. You can, if you wish, apply for funding to attend any training you might wish to do on one of these days and we will do our best to see you can do it.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Well......my HT said

You deserve a pay rise for all the extra work you have been doing.

So I got one.

Deirds and BertieBassett2 like this.
  12. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Do you know what, during 11 years at a nightmare school hitting the gym after work was the only thing that kept me sane!

To quote the great Henry Rollins:

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total *******. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

lovehendrix, BetterNow and sbkrobson like this.
  13. lovejoy_antiques

Never have I ever (as supply) wished I was staying late for that twilight cpd!

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I get you.
    After any one day at any particular nightmare school the only thing that keeps me sane is hitting the gin.
    So near but so far.

15. lovejoy_antiques

Been there too unfortunately!

16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

At a CPD session, to hear a speaker say, "What i going to tell you is based on evidence, collected from many, independent sources, and peer-reviewed, a summary of which i will pass among you, as a hand out."

JohnJCazorla and Deirds like this.