1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Neurofen Scam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35090087

So Reckitt Benckiser has been taken to task in Australia for misleading the public into believing that each of its range of Neurofen "specific pain" products were in some way different to each other, albeit they all contained the same ingredients and were being sold at a higher price than standard Neurofen.

Reckitt Benckiser has said that it comply with the Australian court's decision in Australia, but continue to sell the"specific pain" range elsewhere. In other words, it has no good answer to offer the court why it has been pretending that the identical drug sold in different packaging will target specific pains better than standard Neurofen, appreciate that the game is up in Australia but will continue to mislead consumers everywhere else.

Is it time for drug companies to be properly investigated about the manner their products are marketed?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I always buy the generic. Ibuprofen.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Absolutely gdw. Anyone daft enough to choose the branded version instead shouldn't be complaining about being ripped off.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Investigate drug companies full stop imo. They make exorbitant profits for the folk who benefit most from that - I wonder how many politicians are on these boards etc ? Those that tell us how much the drug companies need so much profit to R & D new wonder drugs.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. Biles

Biles Established commenter

It costs more than £1 billion to bring a new drug to market, that is necessarily reflected in the price until it becomes generic. Who else can pay?

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The drug companies themselves, with the massive profits they have made on preceding drugs that they have had on the market.

InkyP and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Minor stuff?
    Ben Goldacre's "Bad Pharma" is worth a read about pharmaceutical industry's activities.
    Flawed (deliberately?) drugs trials, ignoring results which give the 'wrong' answer, bad data 'buried' etc

cissy3 likes this.
  8. Biles

Who pays for the drugs that don't make it?

9. sparkleghirl

Unfortunately, drug companies exist first and foremost to make a profit. It would be interesting to compare investment into drugs for baldness, weightloss and diet induced diabetes than for the likes of malaria.

10. sparkleghirl

How many research projects in the science departments of prestigious universites are funded by byg pharma? How might that influence the published findings?

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm sure that the drug companies can afford to accommodate a few losers with the profits they make on the ones that are successful.

12. Biles

Why? Have you done some calculations or is it a feeling you have?

13. Biles

What would be interesting about it?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The dosage might be different. 600+mg for migraine (don't exceed the recommended dosage) but 400mg for 'ordinary' (don't exceed the recommended dosage). I used to look for the largest recommended dosage and used that for generic forms.
    Now I am on the needle.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A scientist from Glaxo Smithkline was on the wireless a few weeks back talking about the R&D work they do. He said that it costs $1bn to get a drug onto the market and their success rate in trialing new drugs is a mere 3%.

That said, ibuprofen has been around long enough to become a generic drug, so we would expect it to have returned the expected profits. Neurofen continues to be sold as a brand, so the profits haven't stopped coming in, however the drug is being unreasonably exploited at a higher cost, when the only difference is the wording on the pack which suggests it will target a particular pain more effectively than plain old Neurofen.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ooh, add a bit of caffeine and add the word 'Express'!

How about (and I should really copyright this) add some ginseng and call it 'Naturally Soothing'?

cissy3 likes this.
  17. sparkleghirl

Oh, I wish they'd keep the caffeine out of it and let me decide how much caffeine I want to take.

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Why is it that you always have to be so sarcastic?

19. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Me too. You can also use more than one type of painkiller at a time..

WARNING Do not try this unless you know what you're doing!

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

On the rare occasions that I have a real migraine I take two ibuprofen with a can of coke, it always works. I don't drink Coke normally but it's also good for stomach upsets.

sparkleghirl likes this.