1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Network management - DFS

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by i4004, Mar 14, 2012.

1. i4004

i4004 New commenter

Hi
    This was the sort of topic that used to be dealt with on the old, now apparently defunct, uk.education.schools-it, which those of us old enough to, will affectionately remember. (Perhaps school network managers have gone elsewhere now?)
    Is anyone out there running Microsoft DFS (Distributed Filing System) on their school network - or can anyone make a case for a) running it b) not running it?
    Is it the solution to most server problems? etc or is a RAID system good enough to deal with HDD dying etc.

2. i4004

i4004 New commenter

Hi
    This was the sort of topic that used to be dealt with on the old, now apparently defunct, uk.education.schools-it, which those of us old enough to, will affectionately remember. (Perhaps school network managers have gone elsewhere now?)
    Is anyone out there running Microsoft DFS (Distributed Filing System) on their school network - or can anyone make a case for a) running it b) not running it?
    Is it the solution to most server problems? etc or is a RAID system good enough to deal with HDD dying etc.

3. NMs tend to live at edugeek, although I'd like to think both circles are welcome in both fora.

I was an occasional visitor to uk.edcation.* - ah, that takes me back. :) One of us will be setting up an IRC channel next...