1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nets on a 3 sided bay window

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Nov 16, 2018.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

We are considering having the windows in the house replaced by UPVCv windows. We need to consider the installation of nets around the bay as the front rooms are over looked from the street.
    Normally this is done by stretching a wire around the outside of the bay at present( we have wooden windows) and the net is on the wire and hooked into the curve places. Now from experience, I realise the UPVc is not made for screwing into with curtain hooks. So can you recommend a solution? I have used those stick on ones in the past but either the wirejunps out as the curve of the hook will not hold the wire, or the dam things come unstuck under sideways pull.
    Similarly with the main curtains At present, they are mounted on a wooden protrusion which carries the curtain rod and the 2 curtains are drawn from the side, around the curve to join in the middle. For this si might be able to mount a board upon the wall above the new windows and mounts fitting on that if long enough.
    So good folks you opinions and views please..Ps the wife does not like blinds on the front as to get the light they need to be up and that means people I the street ca look directly inside the front room and the front bedroom from across the street.
    Thank you in anticipation.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

We have nets on a upvc window that is overlooked. I tried those suspension rods and couldn't get on with them, so reverted to screw-in hooks. (The "eye" always goes on the wire passing through the net curtain to avoid snagging).

You can't apply huge amounts of tension to the hooks screwed into the pvc frames, but can screw extra eyes into the top centre of each window frame and loop the wire (which is still inside the top of the net) over each for extra support. You won't notice the extra screw-in support once the net is in situ. Mine have been up several years without failing.

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Have plantation blinds. When slats are open no one can see in.

Jamvic likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My Mum used to have those tension rods, but I can see those would be difficult with a bay window.

Rosie's suggested an acceptable solution.

Other than that I would use your suggestion about screwing a bard, (painted to match the wall and attach your curtain to that. When I was looking for my Mum's place I found a curtain rail designed to be fitted on the ceiling, which was really useful for over-curtains, especially as her 'drop' was 80" and curtains come in either 72 or 90" drops so lengths to ceiling wasn't a problem.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Voile blinds

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Just seen this and I gather Mrs olds doesn't like blinds but isn't there that glass where one can see out, but people can't see in?

Jamvic likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

8. Lara mfl 05

Now that's a good suggestion nomad.

Jamvic and nomad like this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

When we had UPVC windows fitted, the company put in some spcial hook/screw things which were designed for UPVC, and which hold up our net curtains in the bay window - like you, we're on on a busy road with no front garden, just parking space.
    Ask the company who put in the new windows for a solution. I don't think they charged us.

Jamvic, oldsomeman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Venetian blinds - you can angle them so that you can see out, but no-one can see in. I'd get them done professionally, though.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Privacy film. We bought some for my ex-lodger's new flat and it works!

cat1230014

Screwfix. B and Q. She loves budgies so had some with birds on it.

[​IMG]

12. oldsomeman

13. oldsomeman

Thank you for your suggestions folks. Most grateful. I used to hate trying to fix folks nets to UPVC in the past, so I was wondering if there were any solutions that might work better.

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Day and night roller blinds.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'd just leave the window as it is. I can't bear not being able to see out properly, and as a rampant exhibitionist I wouldn't bother about people seeing in. We have very few curtains in our house at all.

16. nicola218

nicola218 New commenter

Jamvic likes this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If oldsomeman's bay is an arc, it's very difficult to fit blinds of any kind to.
    I don't need nets but our rectangular bay curtain rail is attached to a wooden rail (attached to wall) immediately above the top of the uPVC frame. You could do something similar for your nets.

And thanks, oldy. You've just made me look at the curtains and they're absolutely filthy! I hope you're pleased with yourself.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Same here for all our conservatory windows but we had blinds attached rather than nets.

20. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Or get a quote from your window installers for privacy glass in the units you are buying.