1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nets of 3D shapes - how to introduce?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Imtellingonyou, May 3, 2012.

1. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

Well it's exactly that, I want to introduce the concept of nets to my more able Y2s, can anyone suggest any activities to explore this concept? I'm thinking the concept of nets might baffle them if i don't get it on the money!!!!
    Thanks

2. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

Well it's exactly that, I want to introduce the concept of nets to my more able Y2s, can anyone suggest any activities to explore this concept? I'm thinking the concept of nets might baffle them if i don't get it on the money!!!!
    Thanks

3. Get boxes and cut them up. Cereal boxes - unfold them. Toblerones - obviously! Tea bag boxes, what ever you can get your hands on. Get your parents to send in a selection, do your lesson and then let the kids play - hands on!

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Do you have polydron? You can use that to build different 3 D shapes, the children can then spend some time exploring polydron and the shapes they can build before moving onto deconstructing 3D shapes and looking at the nets created. This moves into creating shapes from nets and then recognising nets of shapes!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nets is level 4, so think carefully if it is what you want to do with them.

When I've introduced it (to year 5 though!) I've had some cardboard boxes and children have opened them out to see how they make a cuboid. Then create their own nets any which way. Then make the more traditional 'nets of cubes'. Then move on to nets of other shapes.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

My year 2s had a look at nets on Weds and are doing them again tomorrow. We unfolded polydron cubes & looked at how the faces were connected, then had a play around with other 6 square formations. They recorded nothing but understood the concept of what a net is and that it matters how the faces are arranged. Tomorrow we will make predictions & then test out given combinations. In the plenary we will have a look at the ones that 'work' and how they are formed, see if the children can then suggest another combination that will work. We started on nets after some lessons on 3d shape properties & visualising.