1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Netbook v Laptop

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by RedRich, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Looking for some advice please! I love the look of netbooks to use in our primary school - but am unsure how useful/practical they are. We have an ICT suite but need to integrate ICT in the general curriculum more firmly. They seem to be an option for us to use for research/word processing in the classroom.

Could anyone please advise if they are a better option than bulkier and costlier laptops as a tool to support the primary curriculum please - no experience of them myself!

Many thanks!

2. Looking for some advice please! I love the look of netbooks to use in our primary school - but am unsure how useful/practical they are. We have an ICT suite but need to integrate ICT in the general curriculum more firmly. They seem to be an option for us to use for research/word processing in the classroom.

Could anyone please advise if they are a better option than bulkier and costlier laptops as a tool to support the primary curriculum please - no experience of them myself!

Many thanks!

3. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

Based on what you've stated, I'd go for nettops. For students with smaller hands, they are generally more managable. There are some nettops that are specifically designed for primary use - some being fully touch screen, which makes them more interactive. Performance - for what you want to do, nettops would be great. It's worth looking at a few different brands and models, as some are better built than others. I'm assuming you have the capability to connect them to a wireless network where resources can be shared. I'm in a secondary school at the moment and as such I'm not fully aware of the current primary curriculum. However, please feel free to message me directly if you'd like some more advice.

4. I bought my primary aged son a netbook and I have a laptop. I'd say the netbook is perfect for him in terms of its size and functionality. He can do everything he needs to do on it; though he does prefer to use a separate mouse. I personally prefer the laptop 15" +, but it depends on what they will use it for. I imagine netbooks will be sufficient.

5. For children you can use the Netbook. I have both and find the Netbook too small for me after about 5 minutes of use.
    Better still get a FizzBook Spin which is a Netbook which easily turns into a Tablet PC with Stylus. Made for education.
    http://www.thefizzbook.co.uk/fizzbook-spin.html
    I saw them at BETT 2 years ago.

John

6. If it's a choice between laptops and netbooks, netbooks are a clear winner. They lack the processing power of laptops, but if the main use is going to be word processing and using the Internet, Netbooks are fine. Plus they are cheaper, run on battery for longer and are lighter to cart around.
    If it's a choice between netbooks and the ICT room, it's more tricky. It's easier to move the children to the computers than vice versa, but then our ICT room is underused by other teachers so it's free a lot of the time. If availability of the ICT Room is a problem, and you don;'t have the space to open a second ICT room, netbooks are your best bet.
    But don't forget you main aim is to get teachers to use ICT across the curriculum more, and stumbling blocks to this may not just be about the hardware.

7. Thanks very much - useful advice. Any other recommendations as to which netbooks to go for? Anyone use anything in particular?

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Comparative performance at this level is virtually irrelevant. Every netbook can cope with low level web browsing and basic office applications for which processing power is low and RAM memory use equally low. Same for screens -matte screens are indeed less bright etc, but for real world computing in a primary school will not be an issue. We have no glossy screens at work either in or out of the classroom. As long as you are happy with the limitations of a netbook you will be ok, and I would always tend to compare them against smartphones in terms of applications and processing power rather than full size computers or laptops.