1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nestle abandons Fair Trade cocoa & sugar in Kitkats

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Jul 10, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

http://www.jointpublicissues.org.uk... Methodist News&dm_i=BVI,6Y2CF,3BSNOO,RXY1D,1

Nestlé has announced that from October 2020 KitKats will no longer contain Fairtrade cocoa and sugar. Instead, Nestlé is moving to the promotion of its own Cocoa Plan and the Rainforest Alliance certification. As a result 27,000 sugar and cocoa farmers will lose the Fairtrade Premium annually, to be replaced by funds promised over the next two years and an alternative premium without the same guarantees as Fairtrade.

Ghana and Cote D’Ivoire are the world’s two largest cocoa producers. Farmers in these countries live a precarious existence. Shockingly, a report last year from the Fairtrade Foundation showed that a typical farmer’s income was around 74p per day while the extreme poverty line is around £1.41 per day.

Fairtrade helps farmers to earn a reliable and sustainable income in reward for their investment and work. Fairtrade is the only certification model to provide a minimum floor price. This is vital in the event of the sudden decline of world market prices for commodities; a regular occurrence in commodities such as cocoa. Nestlé states that the move away from Fairtrade is a part of its commitment to sustainable cocoa sourcing throughout the global supply chain. This involves expanding Rainforest Alliance and Utz certification criteria. Nestlé appears to recognise that farmers will lose out with respect to guaranteed income. It says it is looking to mitigate this with additional support over the next two years.

But ultimately, ending Fairtrade will mean that farmers will have less of a say in how they invest in their communities, and will be worse off and will be less secure when global prices drop. Fairtrade provides farming cooperatives with a Fairtrade Premium about £190 per tonne of cocoa beans. It provides funding for community projects such as building schools or health centres, or for developing farms and cooperatives and improving cocoa productivity and quality. In West Africa, producer groups frequently use the Fairtrade Premium to train and empower women farmers.

Under Nestlé’s Cocoa Plan, farmers will receive a lower premium and there is lack of clarity over possible restrictions on this premium and degree of control provided to producer groups. Importantly under the Fairtrade rules, the producers’ cooperatives themselves have the flexibility to spend the Fairtrade Premium according to the needs of farmers. Aminata Bamba, Head of Sustainability for the ECOOKIM group of cooperatives in Cote D’Ivoire, explains

“All the decisions are made together on how to use the Premium. Each cooperative decides how they want the Premium to be spent. All members have been part of the discussion. Fairtrade is about transparency and the way we make decisions together.”

Join with us in supporting hard-working producers and their wider communities. Please ask Nestlé to reconsider its withdrawing from Fairtrade on cocoa and to make sure that KitKat in the UK remains fairly traded.

Take Action: –

1. Sign the petition at Change.org – http://chng.it/TzQPFYNCVS
    2. Write to Nestlé to ask the company to continue to support Fairtrade or otherwise to guarantee that farmers will not be worse off, either financially or in terms of their control over the premiums, now or in the future.
      If you can keep your message down to 1000 characters you can use the online form here: – https://apps.nestle.co.uk/nestle/contact/
    3. Or Tweet to Nestlé using the twitter handle @NestleUKI

sbkrobson, alex_teccy and Marshall like this.
  2. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

It's probably two decades or more since I wittingly bought anything Nestlé. They're not known for their ethics.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Moral dilemma. Should I buy chocolate products to support Fair Trade growers of sugar and cocoa or consider my health.

Kandahar likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have signed.

I don't usually buy sweet products but I did buy some kit-kats last week. Won't buy them again.

colacao17 - didn't know this and thank you!

colacao17 likes this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Nestle are vile and have a long, long history of screwing over the poor to make a profit.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/nestle-company-pollution-children/

Final paragraph from the article:

All major companies have incidents, accidents and scandals. When you have so many people working for you, it’s virtually impossible to maintain a clean sheet. Someone will eventually screw up, someone will eventually do something they should. As I was preparing to write this article, a friend actually asked me if other companies don’t have a similar record, and advised me to look at Mars, for example. What I found was that Mars and other big companies have indeed had their share of scandals (sometimes the same ones as Nestle), but not nearly on the same scale. Nestle has shown, time and time again, that they have few ethics and little interest in a real social responsibility. From promoting their formula to uneducated African mothers to lying about production dates, to using water without a permit to dealing with ruthless dictators, they have often gone the extra mile to make an extra profit – even when the extra mile meant hurting people, directly or indirectly.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Buy them and throw them away (into food recycling bin obvs)?

Although there's a third option that's probably more effective, donate to a charity supporting the local communities.

sbkrobson likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sadly, the Fair Trade movement seems to have lost the support it once had. I guess the departure of the Co-op from my town and its replacement by Tesco didn't help my perception.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  8. WB

WB Lead commenter

Support for some causes seems to ebb and flow like clothes fashion.

Extinction Rebellion seems to have lost support and BLM has gained.

The fact that support for these causes comes and goes leads me to believe that the support wasn’t genuine. It was more about people being seen to be supporting fashionable causes rather than actually caring about then.

I’m sorry that Fair Trade seems to have lost ground. Unlike some other movements it did seem to be genuine.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I cannot agree that it has.
    Although you do need to distinguish between fair trade certification and Fair Trade the charity.
    There are numerous sources documenting year on year growth of the retail share of both, which is one metric for "losing" or "gaining" ground.
    Just because Nestle are opting out of what ought to be a cohesive international effort does not indicate "losing ground".
    Fair Trade is no longer a cause. It is a whole retail sector , and as such it means that the Nestle opt out will see far more people prepared to boycott their brands than if it were actually "a cause".

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I suspect a lot of women my age have been avoiding Nestle where possible since the 70s, when it was discovered they were creating dependency upon their infant formula in third world places they knew fine well had no access to clean water.

lunarita and colacao17 like this.
  11. WB

WB Lead commenter

You could be right. My impression is that their profile isn't as high; that might not mean a loss of support.

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I spent a number of months working in Chile a few years ago, and even longer in South America generally.

I found it impossible to get any coffee other than Nescafe in Chile - and this is a country surrounded by coffee producing countries. Even restaurants had on their menu 'Nescafe' rather than coffee.

And in what seemed like every single village, in any part of SA, which I visited - especially those high up on the altiplano - there were always huge billboards and banners advertising Nescafe and Coca Cola.

Depressing.

colacao17 likes this.
  13. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

http://www.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree

lunarita likes this.
  14. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

If the signers of the petition had been employed by Nestle would they have acted differently?

15. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

I suspect Nestlé's involvement with Fair Trade was mainly a marketing ploy aimed at cleaning up their image.

colacao17 likes this.