1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervously excited!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Minnieminxz, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I start tomorrow, and am feeling a bit nervous, but glad it's an inset day so I get to meet the new faces & find my way around the school before the children come back!
    I'm also really excited, I had to give up my TA job 5 years ago when I had a baby, and now he's at school full-time I've been able to get another school job[​IMG]
    I feel a bit strange also, as I've had to get a minder to collect him from school each day as I finish work half an hour after the children have gone home, and it's 10 mins drive from my son's school,not exactly sure what I'll be doing in that time.. and maybe in the future they'll consider letting me start earlier and finish in time to collect him.. who knows!!
    Were you really nervous on your first day at a new school?

2. I start tomorrow, and am feeling a bit nervous, but glad it's an inset day so I get to meet the new faces & find my way around the school before the children come back!
    I'm also really excited, I had to give up my TA job 5 years ago when I had a baby, and now he's at school full-time I've been able to get another school job[​IMG]
    I feel a bit strange also, as I've had to get a minder to collect him from school each day as I finish work half an hour after the children have gone home, and it's 10 mins drive from my son's school,not exactly sure what I'll be doing in that time.. and maybe in the future they'll consider letting me start earlier and finish in time to collect him.. who knows!!
    Were you really nervous on your first day at a new school?

3. Good luck in your new job!
    I have worked in my role for over ten years and still get a little wobbly at the beginning of each school year.
    I guess the school is looking for someone to do classroom preparation after school and this will offer you an opportunity to talk to your class teacher after school.
    It is hard working around your children, you will have to work out whether the emotional costs v financial benefits of the extra hours are worth it for you. Having said that you will have to see how flexible your Head is with TA hours.

4. How's it all going then? I was/am in the same boat. I've been working as a TA and had to employ a childminder to take both my children to school/preschool, and then collect my youngest from pre-school as my working hours fell just on the cusp of when they went to school.
    It was a good excuse to leave promptly, as my class teacher knew that the child minder would charge me extra if I was late collecting!
    Youngest is starting in Year R on Monday, and will be full-time in 4 weeks. That means I can drop the childminder and my hubby will be doing flexitime at work, so he can do the school drop offs, but I finish at lunch, so can be there to colect at the end of the day.
    That will make a huge difference to the household bills, as no more childcare costs! Paying for a chiildminder, I was earning just £5 a half day (taking out CM and petrol). I'm going to be rich now (not!)
    Anyway, hope you found your feet and you've got the best class of kids ever! What year group are you with?