1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Piscean1, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Not sure what I'm looking for, maybe just an opportunity to vent. I'm currently on maternity leave and put in a request to reduce down to 3 days. Planning to return in summer.

Went for a meeting and now I've had the response. And I've sort of got what I wanted but the letter's written in such a way that it seems like I can return part time but they can ask me to go back up to full time next academic year. Which isn't what I asked for. And doesn't suit me at all.

I ran it by my union and they agreed that clarity needed to be sought. So I've responded saying I can't agree to the terms and conditions without clarifying a few things. I don't think I was unreasonable and I definitely wasn't impolite but now I feel ridiculously anxious and I don't know why!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Under the flexible working regulations, changes sought are supposed to be permanent, and so if they're not agreeing to them permanently, they're not granting your request, which means they need to give business reasons. (That may be slightly more difficult for them if they've said it's okay this year - why would next year be any different?) The ACAS code of practice says there should be a meeting, and that you should be allowed to take a work colleague. This should provide an opportunity to discuss any counter-offer.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I thought this which is why I wanted to check it. I hope you don't mind but I've sent you an inbox message.