1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nervous?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by daruth, Feb 17, 2011.

1. MonsterTeachingIdeas

MonsterTeachingIdeas New commenter

Does anyone else who's been accepted feel reealy nervous or anxious about their PGCE year?
    I've been accepted onto a PGCE Early Years course and I really want to teach but I'm so scared that I won't be good enough. My insecuritues mostly revolve around planning lessons etc - what if I can't make it exciting enough/what if I can't think of an activity etc.
    I suppose this is compounded by the fact that I will be walking out of a full time (although probably not secure) job without the support of my parents so can't really afford to fail.
    Just wondered if I was alone in feeling like this?

2. MonsterTeachingIdeas

MonsterTeachingIdeas New commenter

Does anyone else who's been accepted feel reealy nervous or anxious about their PGCE year?
    I've been accepted onto a PGCE Early Years course and I really want to teach but I'm so scared that I won't be good enough. My insecuritues mostly revolve around planning lessons etc - what if I can't make it exciting enough/what if I can't think of an activity etc.
    I suppose this is compounded by the fact that I will be walking out of a full time (although probably not secure) job without the support of my parents so can't really afford to fail.
    Just wondered if I was alone in feeling like this?

3. I think it is daunting but we won't be alone.....and I'm sure there will be lots of support and help for us from lecturers, mentors , peers etc. I think these forums will also be really useful in terms of bouncing around ideas and helping to develop creative, fun approaches to our teaching......I hope this isn't a false confidence on my part! Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your prograame.

4. Yeah, I'm nervous too.
    I'll be quitting my very well paid and secure job for this! I guess giving up my salary (which I will never be able to earn as a teacher!) is <u>really</u> scary!
    As for the actual PGCE...I'm looking forward to it. I'm nervous though about not knowing enough about my subject!
    Though I'm looking forward to standing in front of a class and controlling the class and hopefully imparting some wisdom! :)
    I guess I'm hoping that the University and school partners will guide us in preparing and planning lessons... they surely can't expect us to know straight away how to target lessons which meet cirriculum requirements for differing age groups!

I intend do everything in my power to ensure that this is the best decision I ever made. I have wasted 5 years of my life in a job I despise and have hated every day of it! So I will make it my only aim to be a great teacher, and try to enjoy it (the good and the bad) as much as I can.